World

Ten die as hunger hits South Sudan

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By AMOS MACHEL

Posted  Friday, February 8  2013 at  12:26

In Summary

Similar food shortage has been reported in Akobo in Jonglei state.

SHARE THIS STORY

At least 10 people have starved to death in South Sudan as hunger hits many parts of the country, officials said on Thursday.

The deceased succumbed to death in different locations in Eastern Equatoria State, where several others are struggling feed due to poor harvests last year.

“The situation is very bad. People are starving. 10 have died in different locations and there is a possibility more could die if there is no rescue,” state Governor Louis Lobong Lojore said.

“People are moving to far distances to look for food to buy and there is no enough food for them to buy,” Mr Lobong said as he calls on international agencies and businessmen to quickly supply food.
The severity of the hunger is concentrated in Kapoeta South, Kapoeta North, Kapoeta East and Budi counties, where crops failed to germinate in the planting season.

Similar food shortage has been reported in Akobo in Jonglei state.

The county commissioner Goy Jooyul said insecurity resulting from raids and counter-raids from the rival Murle of Pibor County caused low harvests last year.

However, humanitarian agencies and businessmen are yet to respond to the food crisis in the Kapoeta counties, Mr Lobong said.

“There were some Kenyans who brought some little food and they were selling it at reasonable price.’’


Namuwongo Slum Children

Entering the new year with Ugandan artistes

Entering the new year with Ugandan artistes

President Museveni on four-day state visit to Russia

UYD activists arrested over Museveni’s "birthday party"