Skip to the navigationchannel.links.navigation.skip.label. Skip to the content. Monitor Blogs|Nation Media Group|Africa Review|The East African|Daily Nation|The Citizen|NTV|NTV Uganda|Mwananchi|Business Daily
Wednesday
May 15,  2013
  • News
  • Business
  • OpEd
  • Special Reports
  • Magazines
  • Sports
  • Other Features
  • Jobs & Tender
GO
Login
Submit
Not registered?  Click here
Forgot your password?
National|Education|Insight|World
Prosper|Commodities|Finance|Markets|Technology|Insurance|Auto
Editorial|OpEd Columnists|Commentary|Letters|Cartoon
Uganda@50|Elections|Project Success|Amin|War Memories|Obote
Full Woman|Thought and Ideas|Health & Living|Jobs and Career|Score|Life|Homes and Property|Farming
Soccer|Basketball|Boxing|Cricket|Athletics|Rugby|Golf|Tennis|Motor Sport|Other Sport|Sports Columnists|
Ask The Doctor |Dining & Recipes|Entertainment|Travel|Theatre & Cinema|Reviews & Profiles|Religion|Relationships|Fashion & Beauty
Barbs and Bouquet|Outside the Box

Editor's Choice

Click to scroll

Junior Lands Minister Idah Nantaba speaks during a committee tackling alleged illegal land evictions and trespass at Parliament yesterday. Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
Monitor Publications Ltd lawyer James Nangwala speaks to the Daily Monitor Managing Editor Don Wanyama and reporters Richard Wanambwa and Risdel Kasasira at the CIID headquarters Police interrogate Monitor journalists
Mr Nixon Ayegasire (R) speaks to Gen. Kale Kayihura during a police operation recently. IGP Kayihura shuffles officer mentioned in Sejusa
Prof. Tibatemwa and Justice Bbosa share a light moment before facing the Appointments Committee at Parliament yesterday Three Muslims among those who failed Judiciary
He earns Shs120m from fish a year
Renown female artiste Iryn Namubiru, who was recently arrested in Japan for allegedly being in possession of drugs, in an earlier performance. Singer Namubiru’s managers struggle to get her
Justice Kanyeihamba. Don’t be intimidated, Justice Kanyeihamba tells
The Kasese river that got angry
Pte Okot Odoch consults his Lawyer, Capt. Nasser Moses Drago, at a General Court Martial sitting at Bombo Health Centre yesterday. Bombo shooting suspect denied bail

World

Turkey blames world for inaction on Syrian attacks

In Summary

Foreign minister Davutoglu says deadly bombing near border breached Turkey’s “red line” as Syria rejects blame.

Berlin

Turkey’s Foreign minister has blamed the world’s inaction on the Syrian war for the “barbarian act of terrorism” that claimed dozens of lives near the border. Ahmet Davutoglu’s comments in Berlin came a day after a twin bombing in the small town of Reyhanli, in the southern Turkish province of Hatay bordering Syria, that left at least 46 people dead and 100 others wounded.

They also followed a vigorous denial by Syria of any links to Saturday’s blasts - the deadliest incident on Turkish soil since the Syrian conflict began. Holding Turkey indirectly responsible for the blasts, which took place just a few miles from the main border crossing into Syria, Omran al-Zoubi said: “Syria did not commit and would never commit such an act because our values would not allow that.”

Turkey has taken in more than 400,000 Syrian refugees, many of whom have settled in Hatay, and has thrown its full weight behind the armed opposition fighting to overthrow president Bashar al-Assad, although it denies supplying weapons.

Davutoglu had earlier told Turkey’s TRT television that he did not believe the attacks were linked to the Syrian refugees in his country, but that they had “everything to do with the Syrian regime”. Besir Atalay, Turkey’s deputy prime minister, said authorities had arrested nine people, all Turkish citizens and including the alleged mastermind of the attacks.

The developments came as hundreds of protesters took to the streets of Antakya, about 50km from the Syrian frontier, on Sunday. Several hundred people, mostly leftist and nationalist demonstrators, marched through the centre of the city, carrying banners and shouting anti-government slogans while onlookers cheered.
In a speech in Istanbul later broadcast on state TV, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Turkish prime minister, said: “Whoever targets Turkey will sooner or later pay the price.”

Davutoglu, for his part, called the blasts a breach of Turkey’s “red line” and said that “it’s time for the international community to display a common stance against the regime ... immediately and without delay”.
He called for an “urgent, result-oriented diplomatic initiative” to find a solution to the Syrian crisis and said that “Turkey has the right to take any kind of measure” in response to the killings.

During his talks with Davutoglu, Guido Westerwelle, the German foreign minister, expressed his condolences for the victims of the “barbaric act of terrorism” and pledged his country’s support for Turkey.
Muammer Guler, Turkey’s interior minister, said the bombings were carried out by a group with direct links to Syria’s intelligence agency.

Back to Daily Monitor: Turkey blames world for inaction on Syrian attacks
  • LATEST UPDATES
  • DR Congo to build town in honour of Lumumba
  • Nigeria’s Goodluck declares emergency in states
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Museveni calls for attitude change for development
  • Shs100,000 for driving while on phone
  • Bombo shooting suspect has case to answer - court
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Nyombi accused of causing loss
  • New Kyambogo VC warns staff against disrespecting the IGG
  • Mayuge holds second Women’s Day function
Ocean Seven Kenya
  • Most Popular
  • I’ll return this week, says Gen Tinyefuza
  • Singer Namubiru’s managers struggle to get her out of jail
  • Don’t be intimidated, Justice Kanyeihamba tells journalists
  • IGP Kayihura shuffles officer mentioned in Sejusa letter to ISO
  • Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Bunyoro suit: Queen given ultimatum to respond
  • Three Muslims among those who failed Judiciary interviews
madhvanifoundation.com
  • In Pictures

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

A military parade at the swearing-in ceremony.

Uhuru’s big day

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

About us9.33 KFMBusiness DirectoryTerms of UseWeb MailSubscriptionsMonitor MobileContact usAdvertise with UsSqoope-Paper RSS