National Council for Children expresses deep concern over alleged abduction of 70 children who were picked from remote areas in Luweero District at the weekend.
This is a violation of children’s rights as stipulated in the Constitution (Sect.34) and the Children Act cap.59. The following questions must be asked.
• Is the Muslim Supreme Council aware of the Kikyusa convert centre where the children were being taken?
• Does the convert centre have formal education services for the children who are said to be in the centre?
• Why did they have to recruit boys only, don’t girls convert to Islam too?
• Why were the children being taken during school days and what happens after converting
• Does the management of this centre acquire care orders from the relevant authorities handling children issues?
• Is the Jinja district Local Government leadership aware of the convert centre?
• How and what did the school administration, local councils do from the time children missed out?
Those implicated in the incident must be prosecuted. The public should be vigilant and report any suspects of child abuse to the government toll-free child helpline: 116 or contact the nearest police station.
National Council for Children