Skip to the navigationchannel.links.navigation.skip.label. Skip to the content. Monitor Blogs|Nation Media Group|Africa Review|The East African|Daily Nation|The Citizen|NTV|NTV Uganda|Mwananchi|Business Daily
Wednesday
May 15,  2013
  • News
  • Business
  • OpEd
  • Special Reports
  • Magazines
  • Sports
  • Other Features
  • Jobs & Tender
GO
Login
Submit
Not registered?  Click here
Forgot your password?
National|Education|Insight|World
Prosper|Commodities|Finance|Markets|Technology|Insurance|Auto
Editorial|OpEd Columnists|Commentary|Letters|Cartoon
Uganda@50|Elections |Project Success|Amin|War Memories|Obote
Full Woman|Thought and Ideas|Health & Living|Jobs and Career|Score|Life|Homes and Property|Farming
Soccer|Basketball|Boxing|Cricket|Athletics|Rugby|Golf|Tennis|Motor Sport|Other Sport|Sports Columnists|
Ask The Doctor |Dining & Recipes|Entertainment|Travel|Theatre & Cinema|Reviews & Profiles|Religion|Relationships|Fashion & Beauty
Barbs and Bouquet|Outside the Box

Editor's Choice

Click to scroll

Junior Lands Minister Idah Nantaba speaks during a committee tackling alleged illegal land evictions and trespass at Parliament yesterday. Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
Monitor Publications Ltd lawyer James Nangwala speaks to the Daily Monitor Managing Editor Don Wanyama and reporters Richard Wanambwa and Risdel Kasasira at the CIID headquarters Police interrogate Monitor journalists
Mr Nixon Ayegasire (R) speaks to Gen. Kale Kayihura during a police operation recently. IGP Kayihura shuffles officer mentioned in Sejusa
Prof. Tibatemwa and Justice Bbosa share a light moment before facing the Appointments Committee at Parliament yesterday Three Muslims among those who failed Judiciary
He earns Shs120m from fish a year
Renown female artiste Iryn Namubiru, who was recently arrested in Japan for allegedly being in possession of drugs, in an earlier performance. Singer Namubiru’s managers struggle to get her
Justice Kanyeihamba. Don’t be intimidated, Justice Kanyeihamba tells
The Kasese river that got angry
Pte Okot Odoch consults his Lawyer, Capt. Nasser Moses Drago, at a General Court Martial sitting at Bombo Health Centre yesterday. Bombo shooting suspect denied bail

Elections

EC gazettes Singh Rubaga North MP

The National Resistance Movement flag bearer for Rubaga North constituency, Singh Katongole Marwaha has been gazetted MP-elect, pre-empting his rival Mr Moses Kasibante’s parallel court process challenging the recount on the former’s application.

Mr Katongole was gazetted by the Electoral Commission in a March 1, 2011 “Gazzette Extra Ordinary” just hours after being declared winner at 3am in a recount that had been temporarily ordered stayed by the High Court.
According to the gazette, Mr Katongole collected 24,802 votes against his arch rival’s 22,850.

On Tuesday, the High Court was supposed to hear a substantive application stopping the recount that was ordered by Mengo Chief Magistrate last Friday and effected inspite of the High Court order stopping it on Monday.
Mr Katongole’s lawyers applied to court to give them three days to enable them prepare for hearing of Kasibante’s application. The hearing begins this mourning before Justice Vincent Zehurikirize at the High Court in Kampala.

On Tuesday, Judiciary spokesperson Elias Kisawuzi issued a statement condemning the defiance of the High Court order stopping the recount.
When told of the latest developments yesterday, Mr Kisawuzi said he did not want to comment because his comments had potential of being prejudicial to the court process.

“I may pre-empt what is going to happen tomorrow (today),” he said.
But Mr Erias Lukwago, one of Mr Kasibante’s lawyers, said Mr Katongole’s gazettement “is a nullity itself.”

“We are going to challenge it. It was unlawful. That recount was supposed to have been supervised by the magistrate and issue a certificate. It is the certificate that was supposed to have been gazetted and I am sure he didn’t issue it to the EC,” Mr Lukwago explained.

Mr Kasibante was, after putting pressure on the EC, announced winner of the February 18 poll by the returning officer, Ms Molly Mutazindwa, two days later but Mr Katongole complained he had been cheated and secured a Chief Magistrate’s Court order.

On Monday, security deployed heavily around Bulange, following announcements for the recount by Kasibante on CBS radio where he works as a news caster, calling his supporters to celebrate his victory.
Mengo Court is just in the vicinity and police said allowing supporters of the rival camps to converge there would breach order and peace.

All roads leading to the area were closed to both motorists and pedestrians. Mr Katongole said of his gazeting yesterday, “I am happy. If they want to challenge it (my victory) they are free. It is not me who gazetted myself. It was the EC.”

NRM election bureau spokesman Ofwono Opondo said, “That (gazzetting Katongole winner) sorts out the issue. Now Kasibante can do what he wants, but at least he can’t challenge Katongole until he is sworn in.”

But the trend and speed of events baffled the Uganda Law Society president Bruce Kyerere. “There’s bad faith (by the EC) in the whole process. There’s an attempt to defeat the course of justice. Once gazetted you’re MP-elect but even after swearing in the election can be challenged,”

Back to Daily Monitor: EC gazettes Singh Rubaga North MP
  • LATEST UPDATES
  • Uganda’s military envoy to Kenya dies
  • DR Congo to build town in honour of Lumumba
  • Nigeria’s Goodluck declares emergency in states
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Museveni calls for attitude change for development
  • Shs100,000 for driving while on phone
  • Bombo shooting suspect has case to answer - court
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Nyombi accused of causing loss
  • New Kyambogo VC warns staff against disrespecting the IGG
Ocean Seven Kenya
  • Most Popular
  • I’ll return this week, says Gen Tinyefuza
  • Singer Namubiru’s managers struggle to get her out of jail
  • Don’t be intimidated, Justice Kanyeihamba tells journalists
  • IGP Kayihura shuffles officer mentioned in Sejusa letter to ISO
  • Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Three Muslims among those who failed Judiciary interviews
  • Bunyoro suit: Queen given ultimatum to respond
madhvanifoundation.com
  • In Pictures

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

A military parade at the swearing-in ceremony.

Uhuru’s big day

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

About us9.33 KFMBusiness DirectoryTerms of UseWeb MailSubscriptionsMonitor MobileContact usAdvertise with UsSqoope-Paper RSS