Athletics
Hared Marathon called off
Injured Nyakisi (Centre - in pink) feels bad that elite runners will not take part in the marathon after training for it.
Posted Sunday, May 12 2013 at 01:00
In Summary
The Hared Source of Nile Marathon was started back in 2009 before it became an annual calendar event for Uganda Athletics Federation.
In just a space of one week, the athletics fraternity has had their annual programme altered more than once. First, it was last weekend’s fourth Uganda Athletics Federation trials that were cancelled over the unavailability of Namboole Stadium. And now its the Hared Source of Nile Marathon that was called off. It was slated for May 26 in the eastern town of Jinja.
“It can’t just take place this year,” Uganda Athletics Federation (UAF) official Faustino Kiwa told Sunday Monitor on Friday. Of course many elite athletes and the public who were eager will painful miss out running around Jinja on what would have been the fifth edition of this event.
“That hurts many who had prepared for it,” long distance runner Adero Nyakisi said on receiving the news about this year’s edition.
“The elite runners have spent a lot of time training perhaps away in Kenya. And after all the input, its called off at the eleventh hour,” Nyakisi added. The Prisons runner, who stunned crowds in Jinja last year enroute a 21km triumph in one hour 17 minutes is out injured and had not prepared for the would-be event.
editorial@ug.nationmedia.com



RSS