Athletics

The thrill remains despite dampeners

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By Jacinta Odongo

Posted  Monday, November 26  2012 at  02:00

In Summary

Opposition leader Col. Dr. Kiiza Besigye didn’t make it to the start despite registering

SHARE THIS STORY

Samuel Okello still feels the same pride he did when he took part in the inaugural edition of the MTN Kampala Marathon.

The 62-year old entered the 10km category yesterday. “I knew I was going to win this 10,000km race,” said an excited Okello, claiming to have taken in every event, before the race.

“I came to run because I know I am fit and it’s for a good cause.” His wife Josephine was as excited.

It’s a mark of the growth over the past 10 years with runners coming from Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, DR Congo, Netherlands, Canada, Ethiopia and Burundi.

Corporates, prominent businesspeople, socialites and local celebrities continue to turn up with Gen. Katumba Wamala, the commander of the land forces, among the 21km runners. Opposition leader Col. Dr. Kiiza Besigye didn’t make it to the start. However, at least a third of the tent space reserved for companies was empty.

If that wasn’t a dampener, the routine ‘collision’ of the 21 and 10km routes left many elite runners in a mix-up. Last year’s 21km winner, Kenyan Onesmus Serem, lost his title here. Police’s Abraham Kiplimo was another victim.

“The routes were not clearly marked. I expected to win but I was disqualified,” said a disappointed Kiplimo. The traffic on the roads too remains a nuisance yet bigger marathons across the world keep vehicles off the road for the duration of the marathon.

odongoj@ug.nationmedia.com


Orange Uganda

President Museveni on four-day state visit to Russia

UYD activists arrested over Museveni’s "birthday party"

Policemen standing across the road watching over the democratic party headquarters on City house

The oil Drama

President Museveni in Nairobi to attend the 14th EAC Summit