Kampala. High Court presided over by lady justice Lydia Mugambe on Friday dismissed case seeking a temporary injunction on Uganda Boxing Federation elections slated for Saturday January 20 at 9pm at Katikati restaurant.
Moses Kintu, a boxing referee/judge and 27 other club members had petitioned high court after they were denied participation in the UBF elections on grounds that they did not comply with the federation laws which included, missing federation events, failure to pay annual membership fees among others.
In her ruling, Ms Mugambe said that delaying UBF election till February would be illegal and decided that elections which had been earlier postponed, take place as scheduled.
UBF were supposed to hold elections in November 2017, but the process was halted by a court injunction sought by one of the candidates Robert Matovu.
Matovu, who is vying for vice presidency accused Richard Lwanga, a returning officer for organizing elections without following Aiba laws.
According to the UBF constitution, for these elections to be valid, they are supposed to be held before February when the term of the current executive expires.
The judge also considered the majority issue where the complainants were backed by 25 clubs while the plaintiff had 37.
However, the complainant called the above ruling unfair as Kintu stated; “The judge says we are free to participate in Saturday’s elections after fulfilling all the obligation, but how can we do that yet we have a very limited time to the elections and we didn’t even register?”
He therefore referred to this ruling as a final blow to them.