KAMPALA. It was all relief on Tuesday for boxing as National Council of Sports (NCS) chairman Bosco Onyik announced that Moses Muhangi had been cleared to lead boxing for the next four years.
“I am excited for boxing,” Muhangi told Daily Monitor, a couple of hours after Onyik issued a statement that offered the rival faction of Kenneth Gimugu a side kick.
Both Muhangi and Gimugu held parallel elective assembles on January 20th following Justice Lydia Mugambe’s ruling to hold the elections that faced two injunctions over legal intricacies.
Onyik announced that Gimugu’s assembly held at the Lugogo Tennis Courts was illegitimate after it was attended by non-members and flouted basic constitutional requirements of failure to have an observer from the world body, AIBA.
The initial elections were planned for November 11, 2017 but called off following an interim court order restraining the appointed returning officer, Richard Lwanga from conducting the elections on grounds that AIBA had not been notified about the assembly.
Fresh elections were planned on December 9, 2017 but another interim court order accusing the body’s trustees of irregularity halted it.
Muhangi said he felt the failure to take a decision hastily has cost them valuable time nonetheless he was excited to embark on a journey to prepare the national team for the Commonwealth Games in April.
“Overall, it was really pleasant and we shall get to work soon.
While the decision could be a solution from the powers that be, Gimugu’s faction which is deeply rooted in the Uganda Olympic Committee family, may attempt a fight.
But NCS general secretary Nicholas Muramagi said yesterday he was not worried.
“I am confident that our decision was objective and independent and we don’t mind about friends if they are on the wrong side of history,” Muramagi said.