Boxing
Nsubuga out of Armenia show
Posted Friday, November 30 2012 at 02:00
In Summary
Boxing. Uganda took a half-baked team to the world event after failing to secure funds for residential training.
Uganda’s Emmanuel Nsubuga is out of the World Youth Boxing Championships after losing to German Omar El-Hag in Yerenva, Armenia yesterday.
Nsubuga, who had to cut weight by two kilogrammes to the required 56 a day before the fight, went down 8-18 points in the three- round bout. “He used a lot of energy trying to make the weight,” Nsubuga’s teammate Fazil Juma, said in a telephone interview yesterday. Juma was also in action against India’s Lalitha Polipalli by the time we went to press.
Uganda’s other representative Rogers Semitala takes on Jose Acosta from Venezuela today.
Interestingly, only three boxers made the trip yet five were flagged off by Uganda Olympic Committee (UOC).
Lightweight Bob Moses Asiya and David Ochan (welterweight) remained in Kampala.
“We failed to raise funds for the other two. By the time we held that press conference, we had been assured by a sponsor that they would avail us tickets for the boxers,” UOC boss William Blick said.
akiyaga@ug.nationmedia.com



RSS