Cricket

Wanderers fighting to hold onto stars

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By DARREN ALLAN KYEYUNE

Posted  Saturday, January 26  2013 at  02:00

In Summary

Cricket. Traditional giants Wanderers have not won any silverware in 10 years and many of their star players are looking elsewhere for clubs that have both depth and a winning mentality.

SHARE THIS STORY

Wanderers’ preparations for the gruesome 2013 season that starts tomorrow have failed to take off with a handful of core players set to leave the side.

The pre-season transfer window, that ends before teams play their opening National Twenty20 League games, has left the side’s dressing room bruised.
“Most of them want to try out new challenges,” skipper Denis Musali told Saturday Monitor. “I am also not sure of who is staying. But one thing is that I have lost more players than I have gained.”

Coach Sam Walusimbi’s troops last stepped onto the podium in 2002 when they won the Castle Lager National Cricket League. And it was always going to be hard for Musali to convince his want-away teammates to stay after they literally gifted Tornado the league title on the last day of the season last year.

Their choking ways saw all their rivals turn them into the laughing stock as Tornado claimed their first title in three years. “It was a sad day when we lost the league and many of the guys want to erase those bad memories,” explained Musali.

Musali, whose team will not be in action tomorrow, says only batsmen Arthur Ziraba and Arnold Otwani are still in his stable.
“We are also waiting for some players with the national team in Dubai to return and get their final decisions,” he added.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com


Namuwongo Slum Children

Entering the new year with Ugandan artistes

Entering the new year with Ugandan artistes

President Museveni on four-day state visit to Russia

UYD activists arrested over Museveni’s "birthday party"