Thursday March 24 2016

Ugandan athlete survives Belgium terror attacks

By Darren Allan Kyeyune

KAMPALA. Moses Kibet was among the survivors who narrowly escaped the Brussels Airport deadly attacks on Tuesday.
The Ugandan long-distance was caught in the deadly violence while on his way back home after partaking in the Lisbon Half-Marathon at the weekend.
“I thank God I am still alive,” lucky Kibet, who turned 25 yesterday, spoke to Daily Monitor via phone.
Three separate explosions killed a reported 34 and wounded 170 people in a space of 79 minutes in the Belgian on Tuesday morning.
“I was waiting for my flight to Entebbe,” he said. “Then I heard all the three blasts but two of them went off at the airport,” scared then, Kibet narrated the incidents that happened at about 8:00am, local time.
And when they went off, his reaction could vividly tell the trauma. “I ran really fast for my life. Other people were also running,” the 2009 World cross-country junior bronze medalist stressed.
With property shattered, blood shed allover and smoke bellowing out the facility ranked as the 21st busiest airport in Europe, the other blast was later heard at the Maelbeek Metro Station, in the heart of the European Union district.
Islamic State (IS) group said it was behind the attacks in a statement issued on the IS-linked Amaq agency. Local media reports that brothers Khalid and Brahim el-Bakraoui carried out the attacks.
Kibet, among several survivors were relocated later to a basketball hall, some 2km away from the airport. “We were evacuated from the airport. There are no incoming or outgoing flights for now, ” the terrified runner said.
“I am alone here. But good enough the Belgian government is giving us food and internet connection. The flight companies are trying to help us get out of here,”
The hostages spent Tuesday night at a hotel courtesy of Brussels Airlines and by press time, Kibet was yet to know when he would leave.
“We are still in the hotel for now,” he said yesterday morning. “There has been talk that we could be taken to another airport.” he added.