Other Sport

Odeke gets chance to fight for African title

Share Bookmark Print Rating
Odeke (L) connects on Ashraf’s head with his left

Odeke (L) connects on Ashraf’s head with his left during their fight at Lugogo Indoor Stadium in February. PHOTO by Ismail Kezaala 

By Abdu Kiyaga & Clive Kyazze

Posted  Wednesday, March 27  2013 at  02:00

In Summary

The fast-rising Odeke has won all his professional fights inside three rounds.

SHARE THIS STORY

Just after three successful knockouts in his professional career, Ugandan heavyweight pugilist Kenneth ‘Bad News’ Odeke will have his first shot at a title fight next month.

Odeke takes on little known Sayed Abbas Nassab from Iran for a World Boxing Federation (WBF) Africa title at Kati Kati Restaurant on April 26.
Odeke, who has not fought beyond three rounds since making his professional boxing debut in April last year, hopes to continue with the knockout spree.

“He is not coming to Uganda for adventure but to fight one of the toughest heavyweights in the land,” Odeke said at the launch of the fight yesterday.

Odeke’s record has seen him finish off Kenyans James Omollo and Joseph Ayeko in the first and third rounds respectively.
He followed that up with a second round knockout of Tanzanian Suleiman Ashraf.

The Tanzanian had matched Odeke and looked the better fighter in the opening two rounds but threw in the towel claiming the referee favoured the Ugandan and ignored many of his fouls. Odeke’s height has always been of advantage over his previous opponents but he is now facing an opponent slightly taller than him.

“What I know about him is that he is taller than me but he is in my weight,” the 6feet-5 inch boxer said of his opponent. Uganda Boxing Union has sanctioned the fight that will also see middleweight Ugandan Haruna Ddiba “Bana Bana” take on another Iranian Govad Zovarhend for the World Boxing Council (WBC) Middle East title.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com