Skip to the navigationchannel.links.navigation.skip.label. Skip to the content. Monitor Blogs|Nation Media Group|Africa Review|The East African|Daily Nation|The Citizen|NTV|NTV Uganda|Mwananchi|Business Daily
Wednesday
May 15,  2013
  • News
  • Business
  • OpEd
  • Special Reports
  • Magazines
  • Sports
  • Other Features
  • Jobs & Tender
GO
Login
Submit
Not registered?  Click here
Forgot your password?
National|Education|Insight|World
Prosper|Commodities|Finance|Markets|Technology|Insurance|Auto
Editorial|OpEd Columnists|Commentary|Letters|Cartoon
Uganda@50|Elections|Project Success|Amin|War Memories|Obote
Full Woman|Thought and Ideas|Health & Living|Jobs and Career|Score|Life|Homes and Property|Farming
Soccer|Basketball|Boxing|Cricket|Athletics|Rugby|Golf|Tennis|Motor Sport|Other Sport |Sports Columnists|
Ask The Doctor |Dining & Recipes|Entertainment|Travel|Theatre & Cinema|Reviews & Profiles|Religion|Relationships|Fashion & Beauty
Barbs and Bouquet|Outside the Box

Editor's Choice

Click to scroll

Express player Godfrey Kavulu and Bunnamwaya’s Mike Mutyaba (now with TP Mazembe) in action in the 2011 season. Alupo calls emergency showdown with USL
Warriors centre Sam Gombya was no threat as UCU Canons Desmond Owili (with ball) flew past him to dunk four times during last Friday’s league game. Warriors unfazed
Chelsea players arrive at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam yesterday ahead of today’s final against Portuguese side Benfica. Europa Cup final: Chelsea to start game as
Minister of Education and Sports Alupo addressing journalists Alupo backtracks, Fufa party, USL not amused
Charity’s U-19 hopeful Jackson Ogwang bowled Charity rally to first win, Patidar walk off in
Outgoing Man United manager Ferguson holds aloft the trophy Fergie gets grand farewell
Bright Stars celebrate after winning the lower tier Fufa Big League last weekend. USL sponsors to stay
Kiprotich (R) receives his special medal from sports minister Charles Bakkabulindi. IOC award leaves Kiprotich humbled

Other Sport

Odeke gets chance to fight for African title

Odeke (L) connects on Ashraf’s head with his left

Odeke (L) connects on Ashraf’s head with his left during their fight at Lugogo Indoor Stadium in February. PHOTO by Ismail Kezaala 

In Summary

The fast-rising Odeke has won all his professional fights inside three rounds.

Just after three successful knockouts in his professional career, Ugandan heavyweight pugilist Kenneth ‘Bad News’ Odeke will have his first shot at a title fight next month.

Odeke takes on little known Sayed Abbas Nassab from Iran for a World Boxing Federation (WBF) Africa title at Kati Kati Restaurant on April 26.
Odeke, who has not fought beyond three rounds since making his professional boxing debut in April last year, hopes to continue with the knockout spree.

“He is not coming to Uganda for adventure but to fight one of the toughest heavyweights in the land,” Odeke said at the launch of the fight yesterday.

Odeke’s record has seen him finish off Kenyans James Omollo and Joseph Ayeko in the first and third rounds respectively.
He followed that up with a second round knockout of Tanzanian Suleiman Ashraf.

The Tanzanian had matched Odeke and looked the better fighter in the opening two rounds but threw in the towel claiming the referee favoured the Ugandan and ignored many of his fouls. Odeke’s height has always been of advantage over his previous opponents but he is now facing an opponent slightly taller than him.

“What I know about him is that he is taller than me but he is in my weight,” the 6feet-5 inch boxer said of his opponent. Uganda Boxing Union has sanctioned the fight that will also see middleweight Ugandan Haruna Ddiba “Bana Bana” take on another Iranian Govad Zovarhend for the World Boxing Council (WBC) Middle East title.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com

Back to Daily Monitor: Odeke gets chance to fight for African title
  • LATEST UPDATES
  • DR Congo to build town in honour of Lumumba
  • Nigeria’s Goodluck declares emergency in states
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Museveni calls for attitude change for development
  • Shs100,000 for driving while on phone
  • Bombo shooting suspect has case to answer - court
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Nyombi accused of causing loss
  • New Kyambogo VC warns staff against disrespecting the IGG
  • Mayuge holds second Women’s Day function
Ocean Seven Kenya
  • Most Popular
  • I’ll return this week, says Gen Tinyefuza
  • Singer Namubiru’s managers struggle to get her out of jail
  • Don’t be intimidated, Justice Kanyeihamba tells journalists
  • IGP Kayihura shuffles officer mentioned in Sejusa letter to ISO
  • Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Three Muslims among those who failed Judiciary interviews
  • Bunyoro suit: Queen given ultimatum to respond
madhvanifoundation.com
  • In Pictures

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

A military parade at the swearing-in ceremony.

Uhuru’s big day

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

About us9.33 KFMBusiness DirectoryTerms of UseWeb MailSubscriptionsMonitor MobileContact usAdvertise with UsSqoope-Paper RSS