Skip to the navigationchannel.links.navigation.skip.label. Skip to the content. Monitor Blogs|Nation Media Group|Africa Review|The East African|Daily Nation|The Citizen|NTV|NTV Uganda|Mwananchi|Business Daily
Wednesday
May 15,  2013
  • News
  • Business
  • OpEd
  • Special Reports
  • Magazines
  • Sports
  • Other Features
  • Jobs & Tender
GO
Login
Submit
Not registered?  Click here
Forgot your password?
National|Education|Insight|World
Prosper|Commodities|Finance|Markets|Technology|Insurance|Auto
Editorial|OpEd Columnists|Commentary|Letters|Cartoon
Uganda@50|Elections|Project Success|Amin|War Memories|Obote
Full Woman|Thought and Ideas|Health & Living|Jobs and Career|Score|Life|Homes and Property|Farming
Soccer |Basketball|Boxing|Cricket|Athletics|Rugby|Golf|Tennis|Motor Sport|Other Sport|Sports Columnists|
Ask The Doctor |Dining & Recipes|Entertainment|Travel|Theatre & Cinema|Reviews & Profiles|Religion|Relationships|Fashion & Beauty
Barbs and Bouquet|Outside the Box

Editor's Choice

Click to scroll

Express player Godfrey Kavulu and Bunnamwaya’s Mike Mutyaba (now with TP Mazembe) in action in the 2011 season. Alupo calls emergency showdown with USL
Warriors centre Sam Gombya was no threat as UCU Canons Desmond Owili (with ball) flew past him to dunk four times during last Friday’s league game. Warriors unfazed
Chelsea players arrive at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam yesterday ahead of today’s final against Portuguese side Benfica. Europa Cup final: Chelsea to start game as
Minister of Education and Sports Alupo addressing journalists Alupo backtracks, Fufa party, USL not amused
Charity’s U-19 hopeful Jackson Ogwang bowled Charity rally to first win, Patidar walk off in
Outgoing Man United manager Ferguson holds aloft the trophy Fergie gets grand farewell
Bright Stars celebrate after winning the lower tier Fufa Big League last weekend. USL sponsors to stay
Kiprotich (R) receives his special medal from sports minister Charles Bakkabulindi. IOC award leaves Kiprotich humbled

Soccer

Alupo backtracks, Fufa party, USL not amused

Minister of Education and Sports Alupo addressing journalists

Minister of Education and Sports Alupo addressing journalists at yesterday’s press conference at Media Centre. courtesy photo  

In Summary

Fufa CEO Edgar Watson is already looking ahead.

Education and Sports Minister Jessica Alupo produced a contrasting intonation as she read government’s pronouncement on the way forward for Ugandan football at the Media Centre.

After last week’s Cabinet sitting, Alupo told this newspaper the Uganda Premier League (UPL) formation would be spearheaded by an interim committee, set up by herself, and the 16 clubs (from FSL and USL) as per the 2010 Jinja Declaration, and that Fufa would only remain supervisors.

Yet her official statement - which strangely was in the public domain by on Saturday evening – yesterday, pronounced Fufa as the body to “steer the process leading to the creation of a new national Super League under the new name Uganda Premier League,” with the help of an independent five-man committee.

She added: “Officials of clubs that played under the USL may join officials of clubs that played under FSL and not the other way round,” a contradiction to her earlier suggestion that the UPL would be run under the USL secretariat.

Strange admission
On the sidelines, Alupo dismissed suggestions the paper had been doctored. “It’s true I first saw the final paper this (yesterday) morning… as I was upcountry at the weekend. But final compilation was the work of the PS (Francis Lubanga) and I trust it.”

On Fufa’s legality, Alupo and her team were caught offside. “I know a lot has been said about Fufa’s legality,” she said.

“And that the same thing (registering Fufa as a limited company yet National Council of Sports rules bar it) was done by previous Fufa leaders (the late Denis Obua) and they were banned.
“I promise you that in two weeks time, we shall come back here and tell you our stand on that.”

Yet Fufa’s legality remains the mystery in this affair. USL chairman, Kavuma Kabenge and his deputy Fred Muwema gave a joint missive.

“It’s five steps back,” they said, “Until the issue of governance is solved, we are going to see a recurrence of this.

“The minister was only called in to arbitrate, not to give directives. In fact we were let down by her failing to define the right Fufa. As a business, we shall maintain our resources (sponsors) and continue looking to reforming governance.”

Fufa CEO Edgar Watson is already looking ahead. “It’s good that we now have one official league and we will endeavor to look at the guidelines and technicalities of what needs to be done to meet the targets,” he said.

Her words last week
“Once teams in FSL and USL have harmonised, the league will be run under the USL set-up, now UPL. Fufa will only remain supervisors. Also, clubs from FSL and USL (with help of interim committee) should organise themselves according to the Jinja Declaration (to form UPL).”

......then yesterday
“Fufa will steer the process leading to the creation of a new national Super League under the new name Uganda Premier League. Officials of clubs that played under the USL may join officials of clubs that played under FSL and not the other way round.”

Major Highlights from yesterday’s pronouncement

Fufa to implement government recommendations
New league to comply with Fifa Statutes and Fufa constitution
Three FSL clubs for relegation, three Big League sides promotion
Clubs in UPL to comprise of those post Jinja Declaration
Maroons relegated because they didn’t register with Fufa for 2012/13 season
Double-faced clubs to unify under one directorship
No punishments on clubs, players, officials for playing in USL (yet Maroons were punished)
Fufa can grant amnesty to banned USL officials (Kabenge) on promise that they do not take football matters to court again

amwanguhya@ug.nationmedia.com

Back to Daily Monitor: Alupo backtracks, Fufa party, USL not amused
  • LATEST UPDATES
  • DR Congo to build town in honour of Lumumba
  • Nigeria’s Goodluck declares emergency in states
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Museveni calls for attitude change for development
  • Shs100,000 for driving while on phone
  • Bombo shooting suspect has case to answer - court
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Nyombi accused of causing loss
  • New Kyambogo VC warns staff against disrespecting the IGG
  • Mayuge holds second Women’s Day function
Ocean Seven Kenya
  • Most Popular
  • I’ll return this week, says Gen Tinyefuza
  • Singer Namubiru’s managers struggle to get her out of jail
  • Don’t be intimidated, Justice Kanyeihamba tells journalists
  • IGP Kayihura shuffles officer mentioned in Sejusa letter to ISO
  • Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Bunyoro suit: Queen given ultimatum to respond
  • Three Muslims among those who failed Judiciary interviews
madhvanifoundation.com
  • In Pictures

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

A military parade at the swearing-in ceremony.

Uhuru’s big day

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

About us9.33 KFMBusiness DirectoryTerms of UseWeb MailSubscriptionsMonitor MobileContact usAdvertise with UsSqoope-Paper RSS