Soccer

Bobby rues Kalungi decision, UCI pledge

Share Bookmark Print Rating
UCI committee members and fans after the luncheon at Kololo Courts Hotel

Cranes players, Fufa officials, UCI committee members and fans after the luncheon at Kololo Courts Hotel yesterday.  

By ANDREW MWANGUHYA & ABDU WASIKE

Posted  Wednesday, December 12  2012 at  02:00

In Summary

Soccer. Cranes next engagement will be an away 2014 World Cup qualifier
match against Liberia in March next year.

SHARE THIS STORY

News of Henry Kalungi, 25, calling time on his affair with future Cecafa engagements came as a surprise just two days after Uganda lifted their 13th title on Saturday.

At the time of the Carolina RailHawks defender announcing his retirement while reiterating his availability for other international engagements after a luncheon held for the players in Kampala on Monday, Kalungi had only two Cecafa tournaments to his name.

The defender argued he wanted to give a chance to other upcoming youngsters to play in the regional tournament.

“I have played in Cecafa and won trophies and now it’s time to give younger players an opportunity,” said Kalungi, “quickly adding, “But I will be available for other competitions.” Kalungi has won two Cecafa titles with the Cranes.

But when we contacted Bobby Williamson, who handed Kalungi his senior debut in the LG Cup in Morocco last year, the Scot hardly warmed up to the defender’s decision.

“(It’s) up to him,” said Bobby, seemingly resigned, “To make himself available. If he wants to open the door for someone else that’s up to Henry.” But there are other angles to try look at Kalungi’s sudden decision.
Could his decision be fuelled by the general view Ugandans have of Cecafa lately, that feeling of “we want bigger things now, bigger things outside Cecafa?”

Bobby refuses it’s anything close and dismisses the notion that the defender’s stance waters down the regional competition. “(I) don’t think it waters down Cecafa,” said the Scot, whose Cecafa title on Saturday when Uganda beat Kenya 2-1 was his fourth. “This tournament goes on for a long time and gives me a chance to work with players and get them on the same wave length.”

The Cranes will now shift attention to the 2014 World Cup with a trip to Liberia due next March.

More support

The Uganda Cranes Initiative (UCI) have reiterated their support for the national team in the aftermath of a record breaking Cecafa triumph.

The fans body hosted the team to a luncheon yesterday afternoon at Kololo Courts Hotel where they thanked them for their efforts in ensuring the trophy stayed home.

The 20 players received top-up on their daily allowances that UCI promised before the tournament valued at Shs4.4m. Cranes beat Kenya 2-1 to defend their title.

Speaking on behalf of UCI, Robert Kabushenga reinforced the body’s desire to work tirelessly to enhance the financial well-being of the national team, with the ultimate goal being qualification and hosting the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon).

“As Fufa officials will be going for the Africa Cup of Nations in January, we shall task them to bid for the 2017 Nations Cup’s hosting rights,” said
Kabushenga. “We are really determined to host Afcon and I think we can.”

The initiative campaign, that was launched last month to gather support for the national side ahead of the Cecafa tournament, certainly paid off with many individuals and companies coming on board to support the team
financially and logistically. Hassan Wasswa saluted UCI’s activities.

1 | 2 Next Page»

Orange Uganda
DSTV

President Museveni on four-day state visit to Russia

UYD activists arrested over Museveni’s "birthday party"

Policemen standing across the road watching over the democratic party headquarters on City house

The oil Drama

President Museveni in Nairobi to attend the 14th EAC Summit