Coleman criticizes Madrid over Bale
Posted Saturday, October 5 2013 at 01:00
Madrid- Bale’s controversial selection for Wales descended into farce on Thursday after the £86 million winger was named in Chris Coleman’s squad and then withdrawn barely half an hour later.
Bale, the world’s most expensive footballer, was selected to play in the World Cup qualifiers to face Macedonia and Belgium before pulling out with the thigh injury that is expected to keep him out for another fortnight.
The embarrassing episode has left Coleman furious and he has risked the wrath of Real Madrid after accusing Carlo Ancelotti of pitching the 24-year-old into first-team action too soon. Coleman’s frustration has only increased after last month he expressed reservations about Bale’s fitness after the 3-0 home defeat to Serbia. Bale has since played three games for the Spanish club and Coleman clearly believes
Real Madrid have not handled him adequately, after abdominal and foot injuries restricted his pre-season.
The bizarre events have come at a difficult time for the Wales manager, who is yet to sign a two-year contract with the country currently bottom of Group A, but he could not hide his anger at Real in a spiky press conference. “We have spoken to the doctor and we will be without him, but we said all along it is very tough for him to have had no pre-season and be thrown in at the deep end,” he said.
“I would never criticise another manager - Carlo Ancelotti is a brilliant manager - but La Liga football is a different tempo to the Premier League.”