Sunday January 14 2018

Dream win tense Wankulukuku derby game

Atuhaire (C) is helped off the pitch after ge

Atuhaire (C) is helped off the pitch after getting injured during the Futsal Super League match between Typhoons and Park. PHOTO BY MICHAEL KAKUMIRIZI 

By George Katongole

KAMPALA- Dream and YEAK Kabowa fought out a tense, bad tempered and foul ridden penultimate first round game of the Futsal Super League on Thursday night at Mengo-Kisenyi. But Dream won the famous Wankulukuku derby 5-3.

An early penalty from Sulaiman Mutyaba was fiercely protested by YEAK and they ended up losing their composure and heads. This forced the team into numerous rotations as key players were booked for careless play.

It wasn’t a game for the purists. A lot of pulling and dragging perforated the encounter and although both sides struck some good scores, the rhythm of the game was of a stop start nature.

Mutyaba, who scored three beautiful goals by rounding off the goalkeeper, was not bemused.

“I wonder what was going on because they (YEAK) lost the game by failing to control their tempers. But that is the nature of derbies,”
Mutyaba said.

But the night was served more drama. Whereas Parakeets held their nerves to win their second game of the season 5-2 against Bajim, two other games did not kick off. Duncan Kabuubi and Godfrey Sekyewa scored a brace each while Patrick Odhiambo scored the other to lift Parakeets from the bottom, for the first time this season.

Sauna, who reportedly pulled out of the league following last week’s abandonment, did not appear as Kabowa United got a walkover. Yet still, Elephants forgot their playing licences at home and for their carelessness, Riham bagged three points without breaking a sweat. This harsh reality sent them bottom.

It was a bitter-sweet outing for Typhoons, who thumped Park 7-2 but lost their goal keeper Godfrey Atuhaire with a heavy injury on the left eye.
The final round of the games will be played on Thursday at the International Futsal Courts.