Skip to the navigationchannel.links.navigation.skip.label. Skip to the content. Monitor Blogs|Nation Media Group|Africa Review|The East African|Daily Nation|The Citizen|NTV|NTV Uganda|Mwananchi|Business Daily
Wednesday
May 15,  2013
  • News
  • Business
  • OpEd
  • Special Reports
  • Magazines
  • Sports
  • Other Features
  • Jobs & Tender
GO
Login
Submit
Not registered?  Click here
Forgot your password?
National|Education|Insight|World
Prosper|Commodities|Finance|Markets|Technology|Insurance|Auto
Editorial|OpEd Columnists|Commentary|Letters|Cartoon
Uganda@50|Elections|Project Success|Amin|War Memories|Obote
Full Woman|Thought and Ideas|Health & Living|Jobs and Career|Score|Life|Homes and Property|Farming
Soccer |Basketball|Boxing|Cricket|Athletics|Rugby|Golf|Tennis|Motor Sport|Other Sport|Sports Columnists|
Ask The Doctor |Dining & Recipes|Entertainment|Travel|Theatre & Cinema|Reviews & Profiles|Religion|Relationships|Fashion & Beauty
Barbs and Bouquet|Outside the Box

Editor's Choice

Click to scroll

Express player Godfrey Kavulu and Bunnamwaya’s Mike Mutyaba (now with TP Mazembe) in action in the 2011 season. Alupo calls emergency showdown with USL
Warriors centre Sam Gombya was no threat as UCU Canons Desmond Owili (with ball) flew past him to dunk four times during last Friday’s league game. Warriors unfazed
Chelsea players arrive at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam yesterday ahead of today’s final against Portuguese side Benfica. Europa Cup final: Chelsea to start game as
Minister of Education and Sports Alupo addressing journalists Alupo backtracks, Fufa party, USL not amused
Charity’s U-19 hopeful Jackson Ogwang bowled Charity rally to first win, Patidar walk off in
Outgoing Man United manager Ferguson holds aloft the trophy Fergie gets grand farewell
Bright Stars celebrate after winning the lower tier Fufa Big League last weekend. USL sponsors to stay
Kiprotich (R) receives his special medal from sports minister Charles Bakkabulindi. IOC award leaves Kiprotich humbled

Soccer

Martinez confident Wigan will recover

Wigan Athletic's Spanish Manager Roberto Martinez acknowledges the supporters at the end of the

Wigan Athletic's Spanish Manager Roberto Martinez acknowledges the supporters at the end of the English Premier League football match between Arsenal and Wigan Athletic at The Emirates Stadium in London on May 14, 2013. Martinez was in a state of shock after Wigan became the first team to win the FA Cup yet be relegated from English football's top-flight in the same season following a 4-1 Premier League loss away to Arsenal. AFP PHOTO 

In Summary

It was understandable that Martinez was unwilling to focus on his own situation at such a delicate time for his club.

Just three days previously he had secured the first major trophy in Wigan's 81-year history.

Manager Roberto Martinez insists Wigan will come back stronger despite a 4-1 defeat at Arsenal ending their eight-season stay in the Premier League.

Wigan, who won the FA Cup on Saturday, had to beat the Gunners to ensure any realistic chance of survival.

"We will keep defying the odds, keep moving forward and make sure this football club has an incredibly bright future," Martinez said.

But when asked about his future, he said: "This is not the time for that."

Martinez has been linked with a move away from the DW Stadium and soon-to-be managerless Everton are reportedly interested in the Spaniard.

However, the former Swansea boss wants to remain focused on their final game in the top flight against Aston Villa on Sunday, when his FA Cup-winning side can show their appreciation to the Latics fans.

"We've got one more game. We need to reflect and share our good feelings with the fans after winning the FA Cup," he told BBC Sport.

Lukas Podolski put Arsenal ahead but Shaun Maloney's equaliser just before half-time gave Wigan's travelling supporters hope they could close the four-point gap on 17th-placed Sunderland.

However, second-half goals from Theo Walcott, Podolski and Aaron Ramsey sent Wigan into the Championship just three days after they claimed their first major trophy with a 1-0 win over Manchester City at Wembley. They become the first FA Cup winners to be relegated in the same season.

"The relegation is something we can rectify," Martinez told Sky Sports. "The club is on a fantastic financial footing. We are stronger than ever."

Martinez admitted he did not expect Wigan to go down but reiterated his positivity about the future for the club who have a new training ground development ongoing and talented players like Callum McManaman and James McCarthy in their ranks.

"I never expected this," he said. "The players have been great ambassadors for Wigan Athletic. I don't think we've deserved to be in the bottom three but we are.

"The players have grown massively over the last few seasons and the last 10 months.

"No-one expected Wigan to be up here for eight seasons but we'll look forward."

Martinez said injuries played a part in Wigan's demise, especially as they had just 75 hours to recover from an energy-sapping game against City at a rain-soaked Wembley on Saturday.

The Latics have lost Maynor Figueroa to a groin injury, as well as Jean Beausejour to a hamstring problem and Ronnie Stam, who has ankle ligament damage, in recent weeks.

That has added to problems for Antolin Alcaraz throughout the campaign and fellow defender Ivan Ramis has been out since January with a knee injury.

"I think it's been our best season in terms of performances, but the injuries in the back line are something I have never seen before," Martinez said.

"We have to have so many different partnerships and keep changing, and that caused us problems."

BBC

 

 

Back to Daily Monitor: Martinez confident Wigan will recover
  • LATEST UPDATES
  • Uganda’s military envoy to Kenya dies
  • DR Congo to build town in honour of Lumumba
  • Nigeria’s Goodluck declares emergency in states
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Museveni calls for attitude change for development
  • Shs100,000 for driving while on phone
  • Bombo shooting suspect has case to answer - court
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Nyombi accused of causing loss
  • New Kyambogo VC warns staff against disrespecting the IGG
Ocean Seven Kenya
  • Most Popular
  • I’ll return this week, says Gen Tinyefuza
  • Singer Namubiru’s managers struggle to get her out of jail
  • Don’t be intimidated, Justice Kanyeihamba tells journalists
  • IGP Kayihura shuffles officer mentioned in Sejusa letter to ISO
  • Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Three Muslims among those who failed Judiciary interviews
  • Bunyoro suit: Queen given ultimatum to respond
madhvanifoundation.com
  • In Pictures

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

A military parade at the swearing-in ceremony.

Uhuru’s big day

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

About us9.33 KFMBusiness DirectoryTerms of UseWeb MailSubscriptionsMonitor MobileContact usAdvertise with UsSqoope-Paper RSS