Soccer

Massa out, Sentamu in as Micho makes changes to squad

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By ELVIS SENONO

Posted  Monday, May 12   2014 at  10:03
SHARE THIS STORY

Kampala.
Cranes preparations for Sunday’s 2015 Afcon qualifier against Madagascar have yet again been hit by more injury concerns after the South African-based pair of Geoffrey Massa and Dennis Onyango limped out of their respective games with injuries as the South African League drew a close on Saturday.

While goalkeeper Onyango’s fate remains unclear, that of striker Geoffrey Massa has been confirmed according to Cranes media officer Fred Katende.
The forward scored the only goal of the game after 51 minutes as his University of Pretoria side beat Mpumalanga Black Aces but was substituted 25 minutes later with injury.

Katende also revealed that his place would be taken up by AS Vita’s Yunus Sentamu despite Micho stating earlier that the DR Congo based player would not be released.

“Every club is allowed to sign three players as they go into the group stages (of CAF Champions league) so you cannot see them (AS Vita) releasing him,” Micho said.

The coach also added Vipers FC youngster Miya Farouk to the team but dropped three other s; Nasibu Muwanga, Kirizestom Ntambi (An Giang Vietnam) and Boban Zirintuusa.

Media blackout
All four had not been included on Micho’s initial 35 man squad but have been training with the team which has been depleted by injuries and club commitments.

Meanwhile, three foreign based players joined the squad over the weekend with Joseph Ochaya (Asante Kotoko) and Richmond Kickers’ Henry Kalungi taking part in yesterday’s morning session.
Turkey-based Martin Mutumba did not take part in the session apparently because he was feeling unwell.

Micho however refused to take any questions after yesterday’s training apparently in protest of an opinion written in a local tabloid about the players.

“I have decided to focus on what I can do best which is coaching and won’t compete with journalists,” he said.