Soccer

URA not thinking about impending government decision

Share Bookmark Print Rating
URA midfielder Augustine Nsumba (L) vies for the ball  with a Lesotho Correctional Services

URA midfielder Augustine Nsumba (L) vies for the ball with a Lesotho Correctional Services player during last year’s first leg played at Namboole Stadium. URA won 3-0. PHOTO BY EDDIE CHICCO 

By ANDREW MWANGUHYA & ABDU WASIKE

Posted  Tuesday, February 12  2013 at  02:00

In Summary

Soccer. The Uganda Cup winners, who replaced league champions Express, leave for Cameroon on Thursday firmly focused on Coton Sport assignment.

SHARE THIS STORY

The country’s representatives in the Caf Champions League – URA - insist they are not rendering much attention, at least for now, to the prevailing uncertainty in local football with their impending continental encounter against Cameroon’s Coton Sport on Saturday.

Football enthusiasts are eagerly awaiting a government decision on the standoff between Fufa and Uganda Super League (USL).
Education and Sports Minister Jessica Alupo earlier told Daily Monitor her docket would present their “recommendations” to Cabinet for government’s final decision ‘probably’ this week after studying Permanent Secretary Francis Lubanga’s report. Cabinet sits on Wednesday.

Lubanga led the fact finding probe into ills that could have led to Fufa apparently withdrawing rights of running topflight football from the USL to a one Fufa Super League (FSL), a decision that saw the country having two rival competitions. A clean sweep government decision, if it happens, could see an interim body instituted in the run-up to the General Elections later this year. That could rile Fifa the wrong way
But URA club secretary Henry Mayeku is hopeful any government decision will not lead to a Fifa ban, which – if it comes to fruition – could mean their premature end in the CL.
“If a decision is pro-football, then nothing will happen,” he said yesterday. “As URA, we are also government. So we shall support the decision. “But as a club we remain fully focused on the job and we are not thinking about the decision for now.

“We are doing our job. We have already booked our accommodation in Cameroon, and we are leaving on Thursday.” Meanwhile, URA new coach Paul Nkata has admitted he is racing against time to have his team ready for the Cameroon assignment.

“I’m still,” said the former SC Villa star, “copying up with the team but we are working hard ahead of the encounter. “We can beat Coton Sport only if we are focused. A point in Cameroon will work for us.”

But Nkata will have to do without Robert Ssentongo, who has apparently crossed to Ethiopia’s St George. When the two last met in 2007, Coton Sport eliminated URA with a 3-0 thrashing in Cameroon and a goalless stalemate in Kampala.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com


Namuwongo Slum Children

Entering the new year with Ugandan artistes

Entering the new year with Ugandan artistes

President Museveni on four-day state visit to Russia

UYD activists arrested over Museveni’s "birthday party"