Dining & Recipes
RECIPE: Palaver chicken (sierra leone)
Posted Sunday, February 2 2014 at 02:00
1 kg skinless chicken breasts 4 tomatoes peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons peanut butter
Salt & freshly ground pepper 21/2 cups chicken broth/stock
2 tablespoons butter or margarine 1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (palm oil is traditional)
1 large finely chopped onion 2 green chillies chopped
1 bunch chopped spinach
1. Slice the chicken breasts and place them in a bowl. Stir in the garlic and a little salt , pepper and some dry pepper flakes if you like your palaver chicken hot.
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Fry the chicken over moderate heat, turning once or twice to brown evenly. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to plate.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and tomatoes over high heat until soft. Reduce the heat before adding the peanut butter and half the stock and blend .
4. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add the remaining stock, thyme, spinach and chilies, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Stir in the chicken slices and cook over moderate heat for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
Pour into a warmed serving dish and serve with boiled yams or rice