UNRA to get Shs3 trillion for funding new road projects

Trucks offload materials during the construction of Butyaba Road in Hoima. The roads authority is set to receive funding that will spread over five financial years. FILE PHOTO

What you need to know:

Trust. Authority says continued funding is a gesture of faith in their works.

Kampala. Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA) is set to receive about Shs3 trillion from funders for executing its projects.
The money, according to the authority’s spokesperson, Mr Dan Alinange, will be spread out in three to five financial years.
The Islamic Development Bank will pump about $300 million (about Shs869 billion) in the construction of Tirinyi-Palisa-Kamonkoli road and Muyembe–Nakapiripit Road. The bank will also inject about $70 million (about Shs203 billion) for the upgrading of the Masaka – Bukakata road to tarmac.
The African Development Bank is to spend more than $400 million (about Shs1.1 trillion) in funding the construction work on Kigumba – Masindi – Hoima to Kyenjojo road, a distance of about 200kms.
In an interview with Daily Monitor, Mr Alinange said the bank, together with the World Bank, is also interested in funding the Kampala-Mpigi Expressway, a project that will cost about $100million (about Shs290 billion).
The Japanese government will fund the construction of flyovers to ease the traffic congestion at the Clock Tower in Kampala. This, according to Mr Alinange, is a project that will cost about $150 million (about Shs435 billion).
“This development means more opportunities for Ugandans in terms of jobs and market. It’s a stimulus to boost the economy,” said Mr Alinange. “It is unfortunate that the local construction industry is still young. It has not fully taken advantage of such big projects.”
Donors contribute 40 per cent to the road’s development budget while the government contributes the other 60 per cent. “The funding is a gesture of faith in the works of UNRA,” said Mr Alinange.

Private sector view
Local firms: Mr Gideon Badagawa, the executive director of the Private Sector Foundation, applauded the development but said there is need for the local construction firms to collectively bid for the road authority’s projects since they cannot bid individually.
“Most the local firms do not have the expertise and capacity to individually bid for a project of about Shs100 billion. But the prospects would be better if they pooled capacity and expertise, to make bids as a group, he said.

Breakdown of the funding on different UNRA projects

Amount to support the construction work on Kigumba – Masindi – Hoima to Kyenjojo road

Amount to fund the construction of Tirinyi-Pallisa-Kamonkoli road and Muyembe – Nakapiripit road.

Amount to be spent on the construction of flyovers at clock tower

The estimated cost of the Kampala-Mpigi express way.

Amount to be spent on upgrading of the Masaka – Bukakata road to tarmac.

Shs1.7 trillion
UNRA’s budget this financial year


You're all set to enjoy unlimited Prime content.