Avemar Shopping Centre catches fire

Monday July 7 2014

Onlookers gather at the scene of the fire.

Onlookers gather at the scene of the fire. Photo by Lubowa Abubaker 

By Herbert Ziwa

There was panic this morning after a transformer blew up causing fire at Luwuum Street's Avemar Shopping centre. The fire that started at around 9:00am has since been contained.

Deputy Cheif Fire officer, Mr Hassan Kihanda said that the fire was caused by a mechanical fault of the transformer, he also said that there were no casualties recorded and they could not substantiate the amount of damage caused by the fires.

"No casualties were reported, this was because fire brigade responded in time and no major damage was caused except for one part of crane bank which was destroyed." Mr Kihanda said.

"This is the third time that fire is threatening to destroy Avemar mall, We are going to engage Umeme and the key stake holders to establish why this happens and whether they can rectify the problem." He added.

Advertisement