The Uganda Peoples Defence Forces has issued tight security guidelines for both residents and soldiers in Bombo Barracks, including an ultimatum to all army deserters to immediately leave the premises or risk arrest.
According to the UPDF chief of staff in the Land Forces, Brig. Charles Angina, the guidelines which also limit movements beyond 11pm, will see bars, video halls and night club operations end at 10pm.
This is among other security guidelines meant to restore order within Bombo and ensure that all wrong elements are handled by the joint operation teams from the army and police.
The UPDF team headed by the Director of Intelligence, Lt. Col. Patrick Lumumba, is tasked to hunt for Private Okot Patrick Odok believed to have murdered 10 people at a bar in Bombo Town on Saturday.
“We have already apologised to the people of Bombo and the bereaved families. The security guidelines are meant to restore order,” Brig. Angina told a security meeting attended by residents, security teams and district authorities in Bombo town on Saturday.
He added that the team trailing the suspect had already recovered his uniforms but have not yet found the gun they believe could still be in his possession. They suspect he could be headed to northern Uganda.
He said the army has laid traps to ensure that he is brought back to Bombo where he will be tried before the Court Martial.
Residents, however, tasked the army and police to explain the delays in identifying the suspect. “How long does it take for the army to find out one of their own?” Yusuf Abudalah asked. The residents also claimed that soldiers drive recklessly while drunk and move with guns.