Bombo shootings: Suspected killer arrested in Oyam

Tuesday March 19 2013

By ANDREW BAGALA

The Police have arrested a soldier who allegedly shot dead 10 people including five soldiers and left two others injured in a market in Bombo Trading Centre a fortnight ago.
Police said Pte. Patrick Okot Odoch was arrested at Abere Trading Centre in Ngai Sub-county in Oyam District and he has been handed over to Captain Bairo Muhangi the Investigating Officer in charge of Lango Sub region.
“We have arrested him and handed him over to the army,” police spokesperson, Ms Judith Nabakooba said.
Mr Okot, who has been on the run, is wanted by the army on charges of murder, attempted murder and indecent assault among others. Most of the charges attract a death sentence.
He is alleged to have shot dead Sgt. Joel Obote, Sgt. Onesmus Odure, Cpl. Isaac Osere, Warrant officer II Francis Musana, Sarah Akol, Wilfred Oledi, a market guard. Others are one Oketch, Odere, Private Kedi and the bar owner Maama Jackie.
The arrest comes days after the security agencies recovered a gun which he allegedly used in the shooting in in Nakatonya Village, Nyimbwa Sub County Luweero District.
Detectives have been tracking the suspect on his mobile phone after he telephoned his colleagues seeking financial help.
Often the army holds their court session of suspects of capital offences at the locus (areas where the crime was allegedly committed).
Lance Corporal Herbert Rwakihembo who shot dead three people at Luzira in Kampala in December last year, was sentenced to 30 years in jail for manslaughter and attempted murder by a military court.
Despite harsh punishment to security officers who use firearms illegally, the number of officers engaged in violent crimes is still high.
In 2009, President Guard Brigade soldier, Private Julius Mucunguzi, shot dead eight people at Top Pub in Kampala before killing himself.
[email protected]

Advertisement