Kapchorwa bus accident survivors recount ordeal

Thursday December 20 2018

Loss. The wreckage of the minibus that

Loss. The wreckage of the minibus that overturned on Kapchorwa-Mbale highway in Kapchorwa District on December 18, 2018. PHOTO BY LEONARD MUKOOLI 

By Fred Wambede, Micheal Woniala & Mudangha Kolyangha

Kampala. The survivors of the bus accident at Towei hill at Kongowo Parish, Kapsinda Sub-county in Kapchorwa District have described the incident as tragic and horrifying.

The accident, which happened on Tuesday after a minibus belonging to Kiryadongo Technical Institute involved in accident at 200-metre steep slope, one of the dangerous slopes on Mbale-Kapchorwa highway, has so far left 21 dead and 12 admitted.

The bus was carrying staff members of National Cooperative Business Association, cooperative league of United States of America (NCBA- CLUSA), a non-government organisation, heading to Mbale town from Sipi Falls, where they had gone for tour.
The staff members were in Mbale for a three-day end of year workshop at Wash and Wills Hotel. The organisation operates in Kiryandongo and Masindi districts.

Mr Dominic Munduga, one of the survivors who also doubles as a procurement and logistics specialist in the organisation, said the journey from Sipi Falls, was full of merrymaking and cordial conversation until the accident happened.
“We were happy and excited because the tour was excellent. It was all fun until we reached that corner, where the accident happened,” Mr Mudunga, who is admitted to Masha Clinic in Kapchorwa Town, said.

Mr Mudunga, who sustained severe injuries on the head and arms, says there was scrambling, screaming as the bus overturned after it hit a rock.
“Others held tightly to each other as the bus was overturning. It was hell,” he said, adding that he has no clue how he survived.
“I fainted and I only started understanding after I was admitted to this clinic. They have been telling stories of the accident and I cannot stop shedding tears,” he said.


Mr Munduga said it is unfortunate that most of his workmates who died were still young with promising careers.
Mr Allan Otim, another survivor, said they wailed and struggled to get out as the driver struggled to regain control of the bus before it finally overturned several times.

“It is miracle that I am alive because all my colleagues I was sitting with in the bus died. I cannot believe that I am alive and it will take me some time to come to terms with it,” he said.
The Sipi region police spokesperson, Mr Rogers Taitika, said two more people died yesterday morning at Mt Elgon Hospital in Mbale where they had been admitted.