Kayunga man pleads guilty to human sacrifice, convicted

Sunday March 4 2018

Godfrey Kizza

Godfrey Kizza (center) being led out of the courtroom on Friday. PHOTO BY FRED MUZAALE 


A 24-year- old man has been convicted of human sacrifice charges after he pleaded guilty.

Godfrey Kizza, a witch doctor and a resident of Kitimbwa village, Wabwoko sub-county in Kayunga District who was appearing before the Mukono High Court judge, Ms Margaret Mutonyi, on Friday pleaded guilty to cutting off Saul Kajura’s head so that he uses it to get wealth.

According to prosecution led by Ms Vicky Nabiseke, the accused committed the offence in 2016 and was found with the late Kajura’s head in his shrine and upon arrest, took the police where he had hidden the lower part of the body.

The deceased, who was aged 19 years was a crime preventer attached to Kayunga police station. Kizza was also found in possession of two human skulls in his shrine.

“My lord, I plead guilty to the offence of human sacrifice but I committed the offence while being possessed by spirits,” a sobbing Kizza pleaded, adding, “I was brought up by guardians, who were witch doctors and in one incident, I saw them sacrifice a human being, that is why I grew up knowing it is okay to kill a person.”

The defence lawyer Mr Robert Nazaami, pleaded with the judge not to hand the accused harsher punishment saying she should consider the circumstances under which he committed the offence.


“This young man never saw his parents and was brought up by guardians who were witch doctors,” Mr Nizaami said.

After pleading to the charges, the trial judge at one point asked the public in the fully packed court room to give their opinions on what punishment she should give the accused.

“He should be sentenced to life imprisonment,” an elderly man said.

“Cases of human sacrifice are rampant in this area, so I ask court to give the accused a deterrent punishment that will deter others from doing the same,” the prosecution pleaded.

"You have been convicted on your own plea of guilty," Ms Mutonyi said.

The judge, however, adjourned the case to 7 March, when he would be sentenced.

Kizza was returned to Luzira prison.