Nebbi leaders reject 10 tonnes of beans
Residents offload bean seeds distributed under the Operation Wealth Creation programme in Moyo District recently. In neighbouring Nebbi District, authorities have rejected 10 tonnes of bean seeds supplied to farmers, saying they cannot germinate. PHOTO BY SCOVIN ICETA
NEBBI- Nebbi District leaders have rejected at least 10 tonnes of bean seeds of NABE 17 variety supplied under the Operation Wealth Creation programme, saying they are of poor quality.
The seeds were supplied by Equator Seeds Company Limited last month.
The district agricultural officer, Mr Paul Warom, on Tuesday said they rejected the beans after they failed the germination test carried out in the district laboratory.
“We cannot approve poor quality seeds to be distributed to farmers and yet government is trying to fight poverty,” Mr Warom said.
The Resident District Commissioner, Mr Martine Orochi, urged district technical staff to be alert when dealing with suppliers so that the district is not turned into a dumping place for fake items.
The RDC gave Equator Seeds Company Limited two weeks to replace the seeds with good quality ones that can germinate.
Mr Aldo Ongom, a farmer, said government has relaxed the conditions that protect farmers from being exploited by seed companies.
Efforts to get a comment from Equator Seeds Company Limited officials failed. The chief administrative officer and the district agricultural officer said they did not have their contacts.
A similar incident occurred in 2013 when farmers in Ndhew Sub-county, Nebbi District were given rotten bean seeds under the National Agricultural Advisory Services programme.