Only suspect’s statement holding us back, says police

Thursday July 11 2019

Arnold Ainebyona Mugisha. COURTESY PHOTO

Arnold Ainebyona Mugisha. COURTESY PHOTO 


Preliminary investigations into the shooting to death of Arnold Ainebyona Mugisha at Quality Supermarket, Naalya, are nearly complete with only an interview of the suspect remaining before the file is submitted to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions.
Mugisha was allegedly shot dead by Moses Angoria, a private security guard attached to Saracen security firm, after a disagreement stemming from the deceased’s colleagues abandoning a trolley that rolled and damaged another client’s car.

Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesman Patrick Onyango said Angoria’s health has improved, but they can’t record his statement until the doctors have declared him to be of sound mind, an important element of a capital case is to be sustained in court.


“The suspect said he’s still feeling pain all over his body after he was beaten by a mob on Tuesday. He is still at Mulago Referral Hospital undergoing treatment, but we shall later shift him to our medical facility where he will be detained as he recovers,” Superintendent of Police Onyango said.

SP Onyango said Mr Babu Awaze, a colleague of the suspect, who was knocked by a car, recorded his statement and released, but they intend to use him as an eyewitness in the murder case.
“There are so many other witnesses and eyewitnesses that we have recorded statements from, but the police standing orders on witness protection don’t allow us to name until the case reaches court,” he said.

Detectives couldn’t rely on the CCTV footage of the supermarket for evidence since the flowers and trees had blocked the cameras from viewing the crime scene.
A police source said Mr Awaze and his security supervisor, told detectives that the suspect acted on his own and contrary to their standing procedures since he didn’t seek authorisation from any of his commanders to use a firearm against the deceased in that incident.
Another source later told Daily Monitor that Angoria would be arraigned in court this afternoon.