More than 500 Congolese nationals fleeing fresh tribal clashes in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have entered Hoima and Kikuube districts.
Mr Vincent Omoya, the Nkondo parish councillor who doubles as the Vice Chairperson LC3 Kabwoya Sub-County in Kikuube District says that the refugees started arriving on Sunday night and were registered at Sebigoro Reception Centre.
Fresh clashes broke out on Saturday night between the Lendu and Bagegere displacing thousands of people from the areas of Thuruges, Mkpi, Jo and Muvaramu in Ituri province in Bunia District.
Mr Omoya says the number of refugees is overwhelming the local authorities and need to be provided with relief food.
Mr Omoya calls for the intervention of humanitarian agencies and the Ministry of Health to vaccinate the refugees to avoid the spread of communicable diseases.
Mr Samuel Kisembo, the Hoima Resident District Commissioner says he has informed officials from United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), Office of the Prime Minister and other humanitarian bodies to solve the influx.
Mr Kisembo says that they have beefed up security on the shores of Lake Albert shores to prevent wrong elements from taking advantage of the tribal clashes to cross into Uganda.
Thousands of Congolese crossed into Uganda in February last year through Lake Albert and pitched camp at Sebigoro and Nkondo landing sites following tribal clashes.