Dfcu Bank has dismissed reports that it plans to close 22 of its branches beginning October 14.
In a statement released on Sunday morning, dfcu said there is no such plan, noting that the reports that have since gone viral, are based on a fake notice that the public should disregard.
“In the last 24 hours there has been a false notice and other nonfactual stories circulating on social media. [dfcu] wishes to clarify that the purported notice in respect to branch closures is false and did not originate from dfcu Bank,” the statement reads.
Mr Mathias Katamba, the dfcu Bank managing director on Sunday, confirmed that the rumour had been circulated in a fake notice before he referred Daily Monitor to the dfcu statement.
The said fake notice has been circulating on social media and online platforms since Saturday.
Asked about the source of the fake notice, Mr Katamba declined to be drawn into the matter but noted he had been made aware of its circulation on social media.
In the statement dfcu also noted that it is in the process of implementing its digital strategy, which will be blended with emerging industry trends such as agent banking, online banking and mobile banking through which it will drive better customer experience, improve efficiency and align its operations with emerging trends.
This, the bank said, calls for continuous rationalisation of branch operations and redesigning of the model on which the branches operate to create viable and efficient alternative channels.