Assaulted by police, saved by the Prime Minister – Part II

Sunday December 31 2017


By Prof George W. Kanyeihamba

I n this part, we reveal how the Prime Minister and police spokesperson Emilian Kayima intervened.

Following my police guards Bosco and Moses’ misbehaviour and show of defiance and threat, they apologised. I contacted the Prime Minister, who immediately responded. I explained the situation. I then called all my house staff to run to my vehicle in my garage so we escape from the residence.

As the driver reversed, I opened my window and shouted at the guards: “Please do not shoot. The police has been alerted and they are on their way.”

They did nothing as we sped away to Naguru police headquarters to seek sanctuary.
On our way, I consulted the Prime Minister on phone. I also alerted the police responsible for the guards of my intentions.

On arrival at the police headquarters, a female officer emerged and introduced herself as ASP Auma. I narrated my story. She said: “What do you want here? I am on my way home but I will see what I can do.”

Shortly, a civilian lady emerged from the building and recognised me. She said: “My Lord, what are you doing here?”

And I explained. She ran back inside the premises and reported my presence. Immediately, AIGP Kayima emerged and ran to my car and asked: “My Lord, what is the matter?”

I explained. He called someone on his phone and afterwards, said: “My Lord, do not worry. We are going to handle this matter immediately. Please stay here, I am going to talk to the Prime Minister first then I will go to your residence. Stay here until you hear from me again.”
He then sped away.

Later, officers Mukama and Agoma arrived. I told them why I had fled my house and how the Prime Minister and Kayima were already handling the situation. Mukama suggested that he accompanies me to the Prime Minister’s residence. He led in his car and we went to the Prime Minister’s residence.
After learning all about the incident, he directed the officers to escort me to my residence but also ensure that new guards would be in place before they left.

The gate had been opened by a police constable, who, when asked about Bosco and Moses, said they had left and told him nothing. Then Mukama telephoned a number of senior officers and gave instructions for new guards.

After two hours of waiting, three police officers joined us at the residence. Impatiently, Mukama asked: “Where is he?”

The officer, who appeared to be their leader, said: “Afande, things are not as simple as you imagine.”

Mukama was so frustrated I feared he could have slapped that officer in the face but he contained himself and said: “Then we shall all stay here and guard the judge.”

We put questions to the three of them and discovered that they were all ignorant of or out of touch with police work and expectations.

By this time, it was 2:30am and we were all exhausted. I suggested that nothing more could be done that morning. I then assured them that I would be safe, guarded by my driver and house workers until the morning when they could make proper arrangements for my security.

By 12 noon, nothing had been done. Later in the afternoon, Mukama and Agoma, accompanied by a senior police officer, who claimed to have been instructed by IGP Kale Kayihura, arrived with what he called temporary replacements of my guards until further notice.

Unfortunately, subsequent matters became worse for me as will be narrated in the third part of this story.

Prof Kanyeihamba is a retired Supreme Court judge.
[email protected]