If you enjoy fresh fish, you will love this recipe which is truly delicious and will impress your guests or make the perfect family treat.
1 kg skinned fish fillet 100g (1 1\3 cups) desiccated coconut
3 medium onions, chopped 1 tablespoon sesame (simsim) paste
4 large cloves garlic, crushed 2.5 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2½ level teaspoon turmeric 800ml coconut milk
2 tablespoon (30ml) oil 2 teaspoon fish masala
1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon black pepper
1-2 small chilies (optional)
1. Wash the fish, cut it into 2.5cm cubes, salt it on both sides and put aside.
2. Dry roast the coconut in a large frying pan over medium heat until golden. Put it in a grinding mill in batches or a food processor or use pestle and mortar to process it into an oily paste.
3. Put the onions, garlic, ginger, fish masala, turmeric and chilies, if using, a food processor, blender or use pestle and mortar to process into a paste.
4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion paste mixture stirring for about two minutes over medium heat.
5. Add the simsim paste and cook for a further minute.
6. Stir in the coconut milk and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for two minutes.
7. Add the fish and cook for about four minutes.
8. Stir in the coconut paste, being careful not to break the fish and cook for a further three minutes. Taste for salt add a pinch if necessary.