The perfect pick
•Buy shorts that will flatter your figure. There are all kinds of stylish options for women of all shapes and sizes. Consider your proportions to select the right style for your body type.
•Consider your height: Longer shorts create the impression of shorter legs, while short shorts lengthen the leg, giving the impression of height.
Play it safe. Women of most heights can find stylish and flattering shorts that hit around the mid-thigh.
•Consider the fit: Shorts that flare out toward the bottom, rather than hugging the thigh, are flattering for petite girls and curvy women alike. Long styles such as mid-thigh shorts are best, while taller women might find longer shorts more appropriate.
Shorts may be versatile but you still need to pick the right one for the right purpose.
The short busy ones in terms of pattern and colour are usually for casual occasions such as to the beach or for a picnic. For work, pick clean cuts with decent length.
Also, different fits are for different body shapes and sizes. Pick what fits properly and does not leave you looking uncomfortable to the onlookers.
A few short tricks
Here are a few tips for choosing and wearing the perfect pair of shorts;
• Opt for clean, straight line cuts. The large pockets on cargo pockets tend to draw attention to your hips and thighs. Instead, opt for shorts in fun bright colours, or with floral patterns. Dark-coloured shorts are also slimming and can look both casual and sophisticated with the right pair of shoes.
• Go professional with high-waisted shorts. Increasingly stylish, popular, and flattering, high-wasted shorts are making a big come back.
Experiment with fitted and looser styles to get a feel for what is the most appropriate. Choose shorts that extend past the hip, but not quite up to the narrowest part of your waist. These are called mid-rise shorts and can be flattering.
• Wear shorts that are reasonably short. While wearing short-shorts will elongate your legs and make them look longer, it is not always the most appropriate look for all occasions and is sometimes smarter to opt for a more conservative approach to the length of the shorts.
• Rule of thumb on length: Nothing but your legs should be sticking out from the bottom of your shorts. This goes for the pockets of jean shorts, underwear, and anything else your shorts cover.
With the shorts on, let your arms fall loosely to your sides. The bottom of the shorts should be below your fingertips. For a professional look, select high-waisted shorts that fit in with the fingertip rule.
• Tuck in your shirt for high-waisted shorts. When wearing high-waisted shorts, tuck your shirt in to elongate your stomach and raise your waist. With lower-cut shorts, it is usually best to leave your shirt untucked to avoid creating a dimple at the belt-line that can be somewhat unflattering.