Teachers, policemen arrested over pupil’s death

Sunday December 20 2020

The head of the State House Anti-corruption Unit, Lt Col Edith Nakalema. PHOTO/FILE.

By Ephraim Kasozi

Four administrators of King’s Primary School at Kabowa in Rubaga Division and two police officers were yesterday detained to help in the investigations into the death of a 13-year-old pupil.

It is alleged that on December 9, Primary Seven pupil Atiel Beny Bol collapsed and died after she was beaten by her science teacher for failing a test.

Those arrested include the school director, Mr Joseph Kiggundu, an administrator and two teachers who were at the school at the time of incident.
The two police officers are Mr Deo Wamakale, the officer-in-charge of criminal investigations at Kabowa Police Station and the officer-in-charge of homicide at Katwe Police Station, Mr Richard Anvuko.

Lt Col Edith Nakalema,  the head of the State House Anti-corruption Unit, who ordered the arrests, said the four school officials upon recording statements would aid in the ongoing investigations. 

She said they would be tasked to explain why they did not report the incident to police.

“For a pupil to be beaten in class alone is a crime because corporal punishments were outlawed in schools. But even when she was pronounced dead at the clinic, the school did not report the incident that happened at 10am. They took the body to Mulago morgue six hours later. We are asking why and where were you all along?” she asked.


Lt Col Nakalema said the child had a known heart condition but the teacher, who is on the run, beat her and the police have paid little or no attention to the case. 
“Let the police officers explain why they delayed handling the case. What are they concealing?” she asked.

She added: “We are actively looking for the errant teacher and we appeal to him to hand himself in to the police because he cannot hide from the law.”
Mr Kiggundu said the failure to report the incident was a result of shock and stampede that ensued after the incident.

Describing the incident as unfortunate, Mr Kiggundu said he was not at the school premises at the time of the incident but upon receiving a call from the teachers, he immediately started trying to contact the parents of the deceased child.

Detectives attached to the State House Unit revealed that on December 9, Beny Bol and her classmates were given a science test, which some pupils failed, prompting the teacher to punish those who failed by caning them.

It is alleged that upon receiving the stroke, Beny Bol returned to her seat and collapsed shortly afterwards. 

The school rushed her to a nearby clinic where she was pronounced dead on arrival.

[email protected]