Thursday March 8 2018

Construction of Shs4b abattoir stopped over environmental flaws

Work on the new slaughterhouse has been hal

Work on the new slaughterhouse has been halted due to failure to adhere to environment rules. PHOTO BY CISSY MAKUMBI 

By JULIUS OCUNGI

GULU- The Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development has temporarily cancelled the construction of a multibillion modern abattoir in Gulu Municipality over noncompliance with the national environmental guidelines.

The construction of the abattoir estimated to cost about Shs4.5 billion is being funded by the World Bank under the Uganda Support to Municipal Infrastructure Development Programme (USMID).
Gulu is among five other municipalities in the country benefitting from the fund for modern abattoir constructions.

Alternative land
The Gulu Municipality Mayor, Mr George Labeja, told Daily Monitor in an interview last week that they have been directed to stay the implementation of the project until the provisions of the prevailing environmental law and regulations are complied with.

He said the temporary cancellation of the abattoir construction has forced them to look for alternative land where to construct another facility using their own resources.

Mr Labeja noted that the current abattoir within the municipality is outdated, dilapidated and poses health risks.

He said a recent municipal council meeting resolved to sell the current abattoir land at Shs1 billion, adding that the money would now be used to construct a modern slaughterhouse in a different location.

Mr Labeja said the abattoir would be constructed on a 3.5 acres land in Layibi Division to a tune of Shs150 million.

Dr Isaac Mutenyo, the USMID coordinator, in August last year informed the municipality officials to stay the implementation of the project, citing environmental flaws.
Environmental assessments carried out found critical disregard of national environmental guidelines.

Construction of modern abattoirs in Jinja, Hoima and Mbale municipalities has also since been cancelled.

A circular dated August 1, 2017, signed by Dr Mutenyo and copied to the town clerks of the three municipalities indicated that assessments carried found out that analysis of the ecological and biophysical condition of the sites did not comply with the national environmental act.

Dr Mutenyo noted that the municipal leaders should stay the construction of the abattoirs for future thorough study.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com

advertisement