Thursday May 5 2016

Government bans live broadcast of FDC’s defiance campaign



Gen Jim Muhwezi.

Gen Jim Muhwezi. 

By Nelson Wesonga & Nelson Bwire

Government has banned the live broadcast of opposition activities under the defiance campaign by all media, Information minister Gen Jim Muhwezi has announced.

Speaking during a press briefing at the office of the prime minister Thursday, Gen Muhwezi warned that any media house that violates the new order risks having its license revoked.
“All live broadcast of defiance activities should stop. Any media house that continues to cover them risks having their license revoked,” Gen Muhwezi said.

The government argues that there is an injunction regarding the broadcast of defiance activities by the Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) party and that the activities spear headed by former presidential candidate Dr Kizza Besigye are only bent at stopping the swearing in ceremony of president Museveni scheduled for May 12.

“The purpose of this campaign (defiance) is to stop the swearing in of President Museveni which also goes against the will of the electorate. Cabinet has directed the police to ensure the interim order issued by court is strictly adhered to. Any continuation to promote what the court has stopped is illegal and unacceptable and will not be tolerated by government,” Gen Muhwezi added.

Also present during the press briefing was; Inspector General of Police (IGP) Gen Kale Kayuhura, Attorney General Mr Freddie Ruhindi, his deputy Mwesigwa Rukutana, Executive Director for the Uganda Media Centre Mr Ofwono Opondo, Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) Executive Director Mr Godfrey Mutabazi and different media house heads.

On Friday last week, Deputy Chief Justice Steven Kavuma blocked opposition Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) or any of the party’s agents against organising any procession or carrying on with the defiance campaign pending determination of a Constitutional case filed by Government.

Justice Kavuma who issued the order exparte (listening to only one side) said it shall remain in force four month a time in which the main application would be heard.
However, FDC leaders said they will defy orders by Justice Kavuma calling then unlawful and laughable.

“He has decreed that there would be no prayers. Can you imagine? Sometimes I wonder if I am leaving in the right country at the right time. I can’t believe that a person in 2016 can sit anywhere and order that people shouldn’t pray,” Dr Besigye told the media at his home on Sunday.

advertisement