Joint Opposition candidate no match for me - President
Posted Tuesday, June 24 2014 at 01:00
The President scoffed at the Opposition, saying it had proved to be inept and immature in its handling of critical national issues.
In what is so far the strongest indicator that he intends to contest for the 2016 elections, President Museveni has said he will defeat the Opposition even If it is united under a single candidate.
“I hear of a coalition by the Opposition political parties to have a sole candidate against me, but I tell you that I will defeat them,” he said on Sunday, while speaking in Jinja on a talk show on NBS FM.
The talk show was partially aimed at allowing Mr Museveni to complete what had earlier been meant to be his message to the people of Luuka District. His rally in Luuka had been interrupted by a downpour.
Mr Museveni scoffed at the Opposition, saying it had proved to be inept and immature in its handling of critical national issues. He said members of the Opposition are not intelligent enough to rule and inspire confidence among Ugandans.
Mr Museveni, whose sojourn in Busoga to mobilise residents to get involved in income generating projects for improved household incomes took him to Bugiri District on Saturday, Luuka District on Sunday and ended in Namayingo District yesterday, said the opposition is scared of him and is using all sorts of tactics in their attempt to remove him from power.
The President, however, assured his supporters that the Opposition’s methods will not work against him.
“You hear them [opposition] saying that NRM as a party is not bad, but its leader Museveni is the wrong character whom they want to go away yet actually in the real sense their aim is to see that a weak leader takes over the party leadership so that they can intimidate and do what they want,” he said.
Before the downpour in Luuka, President Museveni urged the people to take advantage of available structures, including Saccos to enable them improve household incomes.
Mr Museveni pledged to give Shs100 million to youth and women Saccos in the district.
During the same rally, 50 supporters of the Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) party led by Mr Yusuf Kiiza, who has been the FDC chairman in Kiyunga Town Council, defected to the NRM, accusing the FDC party of stealing Shs5,000 from each of them.
They said the money had been for membership cards which were never delivered.