National

Museveni too old to fight, says Bantariza

Share Bookmark Print Rating

Deputy government spokesperson Col Shaban Bantariza (pictured) says president Yoweri Museveni has built a disciplined army in his 30-year rule and strongly believes no coup will be launched unlike the 1960s and 70s coups. 

By JAMES OWICH

Posted  Saturday, February 13   2016 at  02:00

In Summary

Retirement. Government spokesperson says the President would return to his home if he lost the election.

Gulu. The government deputy spokesperson, Col (Rtd) Shaban Bantariza, has said President Museveni is too old to wage a war if he loses the February 18 election.
“How can people say Mr Museveni is ready to go and fight in case he loses out in the election yet he is now old? If he loses, Mzee will just go back to his home to look after his cattle,” Col Bantariza said.
He said Mr Museveni now has little energy to engage in armed struggles. Col Bantariza was responding to questions from journalists in Gulu Town on Thursday at the speculation that Mr Museveni might refuse to hand over power if he is defeated.

While addressing residents of Rukiga in Kabale District last year, the President said he could not hand over power to Opposition whom he described as wolves “lurking around to tear Uganda apart”.
At some point during the 2016 election campaigns, Mr Museveni also said he would rather go back to the bush than hand over power to people whom he said have no vision for the country.

While campaigning in Masaka District last week, FDC presidential candidate Kizza Besigye scoffed at the speculation that Mr Museveni can wage a war if he loses the election.
Col Bantariza said if the President launches violent armed struggle after losing, he (Museveni) would be doing a disservice to the country he helped return to peace and stability for the last three decades.

However, while he defended Mr Museveni against fighting if he loses election, Col Bantariza said it is rather the Opposition who are likely to cause chaos if they are elected.
“Voting out Mr Museveni will be a wrong move by Ugandans looking at the various tangible developments his regime has brought,” he said.
Mr Museveni’s National Resistance Army rebels took over power from Gen Tito Okello Lutwa in January 1986 after a five-year guerrilla war.

editorial@ug.nationmdia.com


About us Africa Review Nation Media Group NTV Uganda Mwananchi Web Mail Subscriptions Monitor Mobile Contact us Advertise with Us Terms of Use RSS