National

Rwenzururu premier arrested over Kasese, Bundibugyo attacks

Share Bookmark Print Rating

Rwenzururu Prime minister Noah Nzaghale in his office. FILE PHOTO 

By Felix Bassiime

Posted  Thursday, July 10   2014 at  10:42
SHARE THIS STORY

Three Rwenzururu top officials, including the premier, Mr Noah Nzaghale, Kuule Ise Bayanda(Youth minister) and Mr Mumbere Erisania (minister for tourism) have been arrested by police in connection with the recent Kasese, Bundibugyo attacks that left over 90 people dead. The trio is being held at Kasese Central Police Station, according to the Kasese District Police Commander, Mr Michael Musani who confirmed their arrests.

“However, the investigations into the matter are still going on,” said Mr Musani.

According to highly placed sources, the trio, among other top officials allegedly planned and coordinated the attacks that have left the whole country in blare.

While meeting local leaders on Tuesday this week, the Kasese District Chairman Lt. Col. Mawa Muhindo had allegedly said Kule had earlier on gone to Bundibugyo and met a group of Bakonjo youth from the area. He allegedly told the youth to prepare for ‘something big’ that was coming.

This comes barely a day after media reports of the Rwenzururu Kingdom distancing its self from the weekend clashes.

In an interview with the Daily Monitor on Wednesday, Premier Nzaghale said neither did the kingdom plan the attack nor does it know the motive of the attackers. He alluded that it might be a group of people involved in subversive activities.
He said the Rwenzururu king and his cabinet were studying the President’s statement and would issue a reaction after comprehending it.