World

Kiir agrees to talks - envoys

Share Bookmark Print Rating
South Sudan president Salva Kiir (R) and his former deputy Riek Machar

South Sudan president Salva Kiir (R) and his former deputy Riek Machar at the country’s independence celebrations. Kiir has blamed Machar for the current war in the country, saying he was attempting a coup. Photo by Agencies 

By Agencies

Posted  Sunday, December 22  2013 at  02:00

In Summary

Struggling. Following decades of conflict, weapons are widely available across South Sudan. The oil-rich country has struggled to achieve stability since becoming independent.

SHARE THIS STORY

Juba- African mediators trying to avert civil war in South Sudan say they have held “productive” talks with president Salva Kiir.

Ethiopian Foreign minister Tedros Adhanom said consultations were continuing, but did not give details.

Clashes began a week ago when president Kiir accused his former deputy, Riek Machar, of a failed coup.

US Secretary of State John Kerry said he was sending a special envoy to help foster dialogue.
He said his decision to send Ambassador Donald Booth followed a phone conversation with president Kiir on Thursday.

“Now is the time for South Sudan’s leaders to rein in armed groups under their control, immediately cease attacks on civilians, and end the chain of retributive violence between different ethnic and political groups,” Mr Kerry said.

Hundreds of people have already died in fighting across the country.

Although Mr Kiir has said he is ready for dialogue, Mr Machar told French radio he was only ready to “negotiate his [Salva Kiir’s] departure from power”.

On Friday, president Kiir met foreign ministers from Ethiopia, Djibouti, Kenya, Sudan and Uganda who had travelled to the capital Juba to mediate in the crisis.

He told them he agreed to “unconditional dialogue” to stop the violence.

“We had a very productive meeting with his Excellency President Salva Kiir and we will continue consultations,” Mr Adhanom, who led the delegation, told reporters before returning to the talks.

As the violence escalated, Ugandan troops flew to Juba on Friday to help evacuate their citizens.

Military sources quoted by Reuters said they would also help secure the capital, which is about 75km from Uganda’s border.

A number of other countries are also evacuating their nationals from South Sudan.
And with the fighting spreading to South Sudan’s oilfields, China National Petroleum - one of the main operators - said it was evacuating workers back to Juba.

Assault fears
Thousands of civilians have flocked to UN compounds seeking shelter from the unrest.
The UN on Friday condemned an attack on its compound in Akobo, Jonglei state, a day earlier in which two Indian peacekeepers and 11 civilians were killed.

The UN mission in South Sudan, Unmiss, said some 2,000 armed youths believed to be Nuer surrounded the base and opened fire “in the direction of Sudanese civilians of the Dinka ethnic group who had sought refuge in the compound”.

1 | 2 Next Page»