Ingredients (makes 4)
200g wheat flour 150g cheese
150g butter/margarine 2 egg yolks
¼ level tsp turmeric A large pinch salt
20ml (4 tsp) cold water A pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
Flour for rolling
1. Lightly grease two or more baking trays.
2. Finely grate the cheese on the smallest holes of the grater and put aside.
3. In a bowl sift together the flour, turmeric, salt and cayenne pepper, if using.
4. Cream the butter until soft and white and add the flour mixture, cheese, egg yolks and enough cold water to form a stiff dough.
5. Roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick on a lightly floured surface.
6. Cut into strips 1cm wide and 10cm wide. Carefully lift with a palette knife, or a knife with a long, wide blade and place on the prepared baking trays.
7. Heat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6, for 15 minutes. (Normally, ovens are pre-heated right at the beginning, it is however, better to heat it for 10-15 minutes after you are ready to bake to save on electricity costs.) Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
8. Cool on the baking tray before serving.