Man kidnapped, killed in Kawaala

Friday September 20 2019

Kampala Metropolitan deputy police

Kampala Metropolitan deputy police spokesperson, Mr Luke Owoyesigyire. File photo 


Police in Kampala are investigating circumstances under which William Mukasa, a resident of Kawaala, Rubaga Division, in Kampala went missing and was found killed a week later.

Kampala Metropolitan deputy police spokesperson, Mr Luke Owoyesigyire, said Mukasa was reported missing by his mother over a week ago and a hunt for his whereabouts started. The deceased’s mother told police that his son had been missing and his phones were off.

Nevertheless, locals in Kawaala found unknown body dumped by the roadside this week and alerted police.

Police picked the unknown body and took it at Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) morgue and after waiting for some days, his mother decided to crosscheck with the mortuary and was able to identify her son’s body among others.

Mr Owoyesigyire said that a hunt for people who could have killed Mukasa has been intensified.

“Preliminary investigations indicate that the deceased was severely beaten which could have led to his death before his body was dumped near his home in Kawaala. Our officers are still doing investigations and we shall be informing you in case we get more details,” he said.


Police suspect that the wounds found on his body could have been as a result of mob action.

“His killers could have used rudimentary weapons like stones and sticks to kill him in order to disguise the crime,” Mr Owoyesigyire said.

Police said his body was still fresh yet he had been reported missing for more than a week and it is not yet clear where he was being hidden until he was murdered.

Mukasa kidnap and murder case is the second this week. On Thursday Simon Odur Akena, who was reported missing in Mukono on September 14 was on Thursday found killed and dumped at Kitubulu, in Lake Victoria, Entebbe Municipality, and Wakiso District.

Akena’s body was discovered by a fisherman who had gone to check on his fishing nets dipped in water. He alerted police and neighbours who retrieved the body from the Lake. It was later identified by relatives at city mortuary.