One arrested over sauna explosion in Kyaliwajala

Monday September 16 2019

Arrested. Although no one was seriously

Arrested. Although no one was seriously injured, police officers say the owner could have neglected her duties of ensuring that the machine meet health standards. File photo  

By ANDREW BAGALA

Police have arrested the owner of Marco's Gym and Spa on charges of rash and negligence after a bath steam boiler exploded causing damage on the three storeyed building in Kyaliwajala on Naalya-Namugongo Road, Kira Municipality in Wakiso District.

The incident that happened at 5.30pm on Sunday caused a huge blast, which many thought to be a bomb prompting Counter Terrorism team to rush to the scene.

Although no one was seriously injured, police officers say the owner could have neglected her duties of ensuring that the machine meet health standards.

Kampala Metropolitan Police deputy spokesman, Assistant Superintendent of Police Luke Owoyesigyire said the suspect is being interrogated by Kira Division Police.

"The victims were evacuated. Our teams have examined the scene and their findings will give us a way forward on the case," Mr Owoyesigyire said.

Police preliminary findings indicate that the blast was due to a steam bath boiler which had damaged valves that sealed the hot pressure from being released from a container that was being heat.

Advertisement

"The gas raptured the container thus causing it to explode. Houses in the vicinity were damaged," he said.

Police background check on the structure indicated that local authorities had declined to give a permit to the company to establish a sauna and steam bath.

Sauna, massage and steam bath have become big business in Kampala Metropolitan area as many people flock them for weight loss and relieving stress.

However, many of these places are using equipment that were either discarded abroad or locally made by unqualified artisans.

Two incidents that involved blast of sauna boilers were reported at police in the last four years. At least three people were injured.

abagala@ug.nationmedia.com

Advertisement