Mwebaze turns to reserves to avert rot ahead of first home game

Friday December 14 2018

Acting tough. Asaph Mwebaze (C) during his

Acting tough. Asaph Mwebaze (C) during his unveiling at Mbarara recently. He has promoted reserve players to avert a player crisis at the team. PHOTO BY FELIX AINEBYOONA 

By George Katongole

KAMPALA. When the game ended at the water-logged overgrown Luzira Prisons grounds on a chilly Tuesday evening, a couple of Nyamityobora players surrounded referee Robert Donney. They protested time wasting tactics by Maroons players.
But as surely as darkness had to set in, they had lost once again – their ninth in 11 games!
Coach Asaph Mwebaze was making a return to the place he called home for more than 10 years and the homecoming was a brutal 2-1 loss. It was the third straight win since replacing James Odoch.
“Maroons did not have many chances, but we lost both games because of unlucky situations. It is more than disappointing to have played and lost in this manner,” Mwebaze told Daily Monitor.
Youngster Juma Dada had opened the scoring heading in his third goal of the campaign past goal keeper Emmanuel Akol in the 27th minute who poorly dealt with Charle’s Musiige’s cross to ignite hyperbolic celebrations.
No sooner had Nyamityobora subs firmly placed their butts on the wooden seats than their defence was ripped apart by Pius Obuya’s splitting pass for Rashid Agau’s equaliser in the 35th minute. Ten minutes after the restart, Agau completed his brace after Muhammad Yiga gambled with the ball near the line.
A desperate Mwebaze had named a starting team with five reserves on the bench following the suspension of six players last week. Two of them, Mahadi Rashid and Innocent Ronald were thrown into the fray while Mubarak Kakooza, Vincent Sijaali and goal keeper Ramathan Suubi, were unused.
“At this time we need loyal players until January when we can make fresh recruitments,” he said.
Nyamityobora has so far suspended nine players from their original squad while others are yet to get their playing licences cleared.
The team plays at Kakyeka for the first time this season against a troubled Ndejje University, who beat them 1-0 in the finals of the Big League play-offs at Lugogo.