Gulu. The International Criminal Court (ICC) has announced that the trial for confirmation of charges brought against a former Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) rebel senior commander Dominic Ongwen will be relayed live on local television and radio stations.
Mr Ongwen is expected to re-appear before court at The Hague in the Netherlands on January 21, the ICC Field Outreach assistant for Uganda, Mr Jimmy Otim, said during the second Justice Forum in Gulu Town last Friday.
He said the court wants the victims of the war attrocities to follow the pre-trial chamber proceedings.
He said places where proceedings will be relayed live on television include massacre sites such as Odek, Barlonyo, Abok, Lukodi and Pajule. He said there will also be radio talk shows on Mega FM in Gulu, Luo FM in Pader and Unity FM in Lira as part of the court’s outreach strategy.
Mr Otim said the arrangement will enable the affected communities to follow the trial, understand the importance of justice, and promote accountability as well as psycho-social healing.
Ms Evelyn Amony, a former wife of LRA leader Joseph Kony, said as a person who suffered as a result of the LRA attrocities, she is eager to follow the Ongwen trial. She noted that watching the court process will bring healing to individuals who suffered at the hands of the rebels.
Mr Ongwen, who surrendered early last year in Central African Republic, appeared at the ICC pre-trial chamber before Judge Ekaterina Trendafilova in January the same year on seven counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity.