Kalaki, Mbale floods victims get relief items

Wednesday October 28 2020
reg03pix

Red Cross officials hand over relief items to the flood victims in Kalaki District on Saturday. PHOTO | FRED WAMBEDE

By Olivier Mukaaya

The Uganda Red Cross Society has delivered non-food items to people affected by floods in the districts of  Kalaki and Mbale.

The floods, which occurred last week, left 400 families homeless.
 
Several acres of crops were also ravaged. The items, which were  delivered to the victims on Saturday, included kitchen sets, jerrycans, solar lamps, tarpaulins, blankets, soap and mosquito nets.

In Kalaki District, the most affected families are in the three sub-counties of Kakwe, Bululu and Kalaki.

In Mbale, the floods hit Bubyangu Sub-county, killing one person and displacing about 100 families early this month.

Ms Irene Nakasiita, the Uganda Red Cross Society spokesperson, said  the people who were displaced are now residing with relatives while others have migrated to the nearby  trading centres and towns. She added that some have taken shelter in churches and mosques.

“There is still need for more relief items to be given to the affected communities because they lost everything,” she said.

Advertisement

Ms Nakasiita said  Red Cross has  been able to support and  give relief to about 1,400 people in the four affected sub-counties in the district.

“These are just basic reliefs but we need to come up with more innovations to see how we can continue supporting the affected, for example, through a cash transfer programme,” she said.

The chief administrative officer, Mr William Emungu, applauded Red Cross for the support but said more needs to be done.

“The situation will be worse if the affected families are supposed to resettle themselves,” he said.
Mr Charles Ochungu, the Akura Village chairperson in Kalaki Sub-county, asked the government to relocate the people to safer places before more floods hit.
“They should be  located in low land areas,” Mr Ochungu said.

Mr Muzamiru Mugoya, the Bubyangu Sub-county chairperson in Mbale District,  lauded the Red Cross for the timely intervention. 

Mr Mugoya said the incident  left one child dead, six injured and 52 house holders destroyed.  “Our people have been living a miserable life without any relief support since the incident occurred,” he said. 
Ms Florence Engoru, one of the victims, said she lost her house and properties.

“I did not even have a blanket to cover my children but I have got one today and I am happy,” she said. 

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com

Advertisement