National

Court summons MP Nabukenya over kidnap

Share Bookmark Print Rating
Brenda Nabukenya

Ms Brenda Nabukenya  

By Dan Wandera

Posted  Friday, June 27   2014 at  01:00

In Summary

Ms Nabukenya is accused of kidnapping NRM supporters.

SHARE THIS STORY

Luweero- The Chief Magistrates Court has summoned Luweero District Woman MP Brenda Nabukenya for allegedly interfering with election activities in the recently concluded by-election.

Mr Sylvia Nabaggala amended the summons to July 4 after court had been informed that Ms Nabukenya could not appear on June 16 because she was sick.
According to the charge sheet dated June 12, Ms Nabukenya, a resident of Bukuma village in Luweero Town Council, while on her campaign trail for the District Woman MP seat on May 15 incited her supporters at Kabunyata village in Kamira Sub-county to assault and kidnap Mr Patrick Mwesigye, Mr Robert Ssempungu and Mr Stephen Ssentumbwe all residents of Mabuye.

She is charged together with Mr Richard Katabira and Mr Julius Mayega who were released on police bond after they were arrested at Kabunyata on June 6.
Ms Nabukenya, who was sworn in recently as the Luweero District Woman MP after winning a hotly-contested by-election, told the Daily Monitor she had received the summons, saying “this could be a ploy by NRM detractors to witch hunt me after I defeated them”.

“They failed to handle me during the by-election, now they have run to court, I will defeat them at all fronts,” she said.

“I think police are being used by government to find ways through which they can keep me busy in court so that I fail to serve my constituency,” she added.

However, the Savannah Region police spokesperson, Mr Lameck Kigozi, dismissed Ms Nabukenya’s claims, saying: “The allegations against police have no merit because we recorded statements from complainants assaulted by her and her supporters.”

“We [police] do not have to wait for anybody to direct us. We are not working under the influence of anybody,” he added.

However, while campaigning for Ms Rebecca Nalwanga’s [NRM candidate] in Zirobwe Sub-county, President Museveni directed Mr Justus Asiimwe, the Luweero DPC, to investigate alleged assault and kidnap of NRM supporters in Kamira Sub-county by members of the opposition.
editorial@ug.nationmedia.com