Tighter security for Kabaka ahead of prayers at Kasubi

Thursday March 25 2010

Hundreds of people are still thronging Kasubi

Hundreds of people are still thronging Kasubi Tombs to see what was left of the cultural site.  

By Robert Mwanje

Kampala

Kabaka Ronald Mutebi’s security has been beefed up at his residences and during his travels, the kingdom minister in charge of royal travels, Mr Kabuuza Mukasa, has said.

In an interview with Daily Monitor, the minister said the changes are intended to tighten the Kabaka’s security ahead of prayers to end the week-long mourning of the Kasubi tombs tomorrow.

“We have beefed up Kabaka’s security given the prevailing situation. But I cannot give you security details,” Mr Kabuuza said yesterday.

The developments follow last week’s mysterious fire that destroyed the Muzibu azaala Mpanga, a structure housing mausoleum of the fallen kings in Kasubi, a Kampala suburb.

Kabaka Mutebi normally travels with at least 20 security operatives.

According to Friday’s security programme, the Kabaka’s traditional guards and the state-provided soldiers will be in charge of the tombs and palace while police will help in screening and checking people from outside.

“Police will not access the tombs this time. Their assistance will not be needed inside and motorists will stop at Nakulabye except a few dignitaries and royal family members,” Mr Kabuuza said.

Eliminating police
Mr Kabuuza however, said the Kabaka’s security is not under threat.

About the Kingdom’s decision to eliminate police from the tombs, the minister said police and the Kingdom officials have agreed to the decision and how to handle the situation in case any need arises.

“We shall work with them but in a different way,” he said.

Police spokesperson Judith Nabakooba yesterday said, they would finalise guidelines today.

Meanwhile, Ankole kingdom prince John Barigye yesterday sent a condolence message to the Kabaka and urged him to remain strong.

Advertisement