24 admitted after eating poisoned cassava meal

A man eats cassava meal. At least 24 people have been admitted eating suspected poisoned cassava meal. Monitor photo

What you need to know:

  • The flour was bought from vending truck.
  • Mr Farouk Mugole, a resident of Kaitagole village, Kaitagole parish who was affected along with his five children and now admitted at Budaka Health centre says they started feeling bad after the meal.

BUDAKA.
At least 24 people from different families in Iki-Iki and Kameruka sub-counties in Budaka District are fighting for their lives at Budaka Health Centre IV after eating food suspected to have been poisoned.
The victims, according to the Iki-Iki LC3 chairman, Mr Zedekia Modinghi ate a meal of mixed millet and cassava flour. The flour was bought from vending truck.
The victims were rushed to Budaka Health Centre where they are undergoing intensive treatment.
“The whole sub-county was thrown into panic. We couldn’t understand what had befallen us. Thank God, no death was recorded,” Mr Modinghi said.

The victims who had eaten the poisonous cassava Friday night developed health complications including vomiting and diarrhoea.
Mr Modinghi cautioned people to be careful when buying dry cassava because some traders are taking advantage of the looming scarcity of cassava to sell strange items disguised as cassava.
He said the dealers are suspected to be from Busoga and there are rumours that some dry cassava is imported from Tanzania.
Mr Farouk Mugole, a resident of Kaitagole village, Kaitagole parish who was affected along with his five children and now admitted at Budaka Health centre says they started feeling bad after the meal.

The District Health Officer [DHO], Mr Sam Wajega, said the victims are undergoing various tests and many are responding positively after getting treatment.
“Some of the victims had severe diarrhea but we are yet to establish the real cause. Others have been discharged” said Mr Wajega.
Two months ago, at least 50 mourners of the same clan from Kapyani village, Kasasira were admitted at Kasasira health centre in critical condition after eating suspected poisoned millet and cassava bread.

Welcome!

You're all set to enjoy unlimited Prime content.